X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alfienoakes
    • January 4, 2011
    • West Sussex

Nested door in curtain wall panel, family

I have created a set of curtain wall panels, that slot into my curtain wall. There are 3 different types,

1. fixed window next to a louvre panel.
    2. fixed window and opening window next to a louvre panel.
    3. door next to an opener and a fixed panel.

1 and 2 work no problem. the windows and louvre panels all schedule without issue. What I am having problems with is getting the "from room" to work on the door. I have created a generic model and turned it into a door via its category. I can insert this into my curtain wall panel family and then into my curtain wall in my project file. It will pick up all of the correct parameters that I set, but will not pick up any room info.

I think I know why, as I have been thru this before. If you dont use the correct family template, ie the "Door" template, you dont get the "to room" functionality. But, to get the panel into the curtain wall panel family, you cannot use a normal door template, as it wants a wall to sit within.

I have attached an image to illustrate what I am trying to do.

Cheers
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Alfienoakes; July 17, 2012, 08:44 AM.
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it
  • cliff collins
    BIM there, done that
    • December 14, 2010
    • St. Louis, MO

You can substitute a "wall" for the Curtain Panel, and insert the correct door into it. You will need to create a special "thin" wall type for this to match your curtain wall thickness.
    Cliff B. Collins
    Registered Architect
    The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
    Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

• Alfienoakes
      • January 4, 2011
      • West Sussex

Hi Cliff,

Yes, I had thought about that, but I want the door and the screen to act as one. So I would have the full screen as the main curtain wall panel, including the door.

But... you have given me a thought.. I should use your suggestion, and just create a new screen, that would be wall based, and then insert it into a thin wall that is within the curtain wall panel, as per you suggestion for the door. That way I could use a door I know that works, in a screen setup I also know works...

Off to try it out...

cheers..
      I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it

Comment

• Alfienoakes
        • January 4, 2011
        • West Sussex

It works.. 99.999%

Inserted a wall into my curtain wall panel. Created my screen including the door. Inserted the screen, into the wall within the curtain wall. Works really well... apart from I have to make the screen 0.1mm smaller than the complete width. If the screen and the wall occupy the same exact space, the wall basically cannot exist anymore.. bit like something off of Inception or Back to the Future..

So I have a screen that is now 1799.9mm wide. Doesn't make a big difference, as my schedule can tidy that up.

Cheers

Comment

• mdradvies
          "Mark Twain"
          • December 16, 2010
          • Boxtel, Netherlands

Maybe somewhat late to this party, sorry about that.
          But there is a uch easier solution:

In your CW family, set it's function from Panel to Door. Done... (at least, if you create the geometry natively in the panel family, haven't tested it with imported generic models but it should work since the parent defines the function.

You can find this in the Family Category and Parameter settings (without Revit, is it called that way? The button above the one that pops up the parameter window)
          Martijn de Riet
          Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
          MdR Advies
          Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

• Alfienoakes
            • January 4, 2011
            • West Sussex

Martijn,

I have created the panel as a window family and then inserted that into the wall, that I have placed in the curtain wall panel (well not placed but you know..).

Yes, I did try that and it does work as a door then, but what I needed to also happen, was the rest if the panel that the door sits in, needed to show up as a screen. I have attached an image to illustrate this.

It does sort of work OK like this, but as mentioned, I do have to leave a tiny bit of wall in the panel, otherwise there is nothing to host the screen, according to Revit..

Cheers

Comment

• mdradvies
              "Mark Twain"
              • December 16, 2010
              • Boxtel, Netherlands

Now I'm getting really confused. Can you post a part of the project with this panel? Cause I'm still thinking you're making it too complex...
              Martijn de Riet
              MdR Advies

Comment

• snowyweston
                Super Moderator
                • December 21, 2010
                • C.LONDON

Sorry Alfie, I can't seem to make it work either :
                Attached Files

Comment

• mdradvies
                  "Mark Twain"
                  • December 16, 2010
                  • Boxtel, Netherlands

ahhhh, now I see the problem. No, you can't do that. Since the door is nested in a panel it cannot derive the to/from info (I think doors/windows get this info from their host wall). For this to work the host needs to be a wall, not another panel. Unfortunately this info isn't passed along multiple levels.

But to go at it from a completely other perspective:
                  Why not create the door as a separate panel in your CW? I don't see why it should be nested into another panel. Could you enlighten me on that one? Or maybe use te CW schedule OR Assemblies for the overall schedule?
                  Martijn de Riet
                  MdR Advies

Comment

• mruehr
                    • March 16, 2011
                    • Perth Australia

Room awareness in curtain panels is only for the primary Window or Door Curtain Panel
                    It does not matter what you nest into.
                    As mdradvies suggests I would divide the panel with Curtain grids and use Window Curtain Panel and Door Curtain Panels and Curtain Panels for the rest. You can tag this as a Curtain wall Assembly and group it. I use a Custom Curtain wall Assembly Parameter assigned to Walls, Doors, Panels, Mullions and Windows In the Assembly Group you can select all Object’s and give it the same Parameter Value something like CW01..This you can use to filter your Schedule down to this Assembly only. You can even make Mullion Cut lists from it and schedule all Doors and Windows and they know to which assembly they belong and what Room. The Group makes all Instance parameters into Type so it is basically like one Panel Family…well a Curtain Assembly Panel ...i use this methot all the time
                    I use this method all the time its flexible fast and very handy when you have to make separate Trade packages for Exterior/Interior Glazing with separate Schedules for Doors and Windows and Interior Doors
                    I like Practical, Simple, and Productive Solutions and like to share what I find.
                    http://revitworx.blogspot.com.au/

Comment