Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Revit and Text

"RFO 2012 Spelling Bee Champion"
    Current Local Time
    01:45 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Post Revit and Text

As we are all painfully aware, Revit has pathetic at best text editing capabilities. Please post some solutions you have come up with. Also explain your success or failure with these solutions.

"RFO 2012 Spelling Bee Champion"
    Current Local Time

General Notes:
    We have implemented, only for large bodies of text, the use of linked DWG files. AutoCAD is much more capable of handling the formatting of paragraphs of text and bulleting.
    We have all our general notes and specs in a Word document for easy editing. This is then copy and pasted into AutoCAD, refined, then linked into Revit on a drafting view and placed on a sheet.
    We keep these notes project specific by keeping them in the project folder.

This way of doing things is laborious for the drafter. However, by using word our Project Managers are able to make the required modifications to the notes and then the drafter is tasked with getting them into Revit.
    You will also have to send any DWG files with the RVT file.

"I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Current Local Time

I do my large content notes, like General Notes, in Excel. Sort of the same process as yours but I use XL2CAD from dotsoft.com to link the file into Acad which is in turn linked into Revit and added to a drafting view. This way any changes to the verbiage in Excel is automatically updated in Revit. This has worked well for me in my short experience.

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    03:45 PM

We do all of those things in extra key Schedules that we dont use for anything else. Its in Revit, you can type in Revit. It word wraps paragraphs, etc. There are a few limitations to it... But (though this sounds harsh)- ive never had a problem getting a good and readable set of drawings out the door with it. A lot of people want fluffy text editing (and i guess i can understand it), but the more we move towards intelligent tags, Smart Keynotes, etc... I just dont need much from a text editor.

Current Local Time
    07:45 AM

I have tried both the suggestions above, but for quick accessable notes that users of all levels can edit straight text is the only system that users can work with . Obviously use of model data with tags etc is first choice, but for specification type notes they need to be easily editable on my projects.

Something I have found useful is creating families for tables which can be preformatted and kept consistent. For tables in specs it saves a lot of time, and keeps formatting consistent

Current Local Time
    12:45 PM

Has anyone else been having problems with Revit text columns jumping around and resetting after editing text? You can get a paragraph of text looking just the way you want it only to have it get reformatted in a weird way the next time you you finish editing it.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hopkins View Post
    Has anyone else been having problems with Revit text columns jumping around and resetting after editing text? You can get a paragraph of text looking just the way you want it only to have it get reformatted in a weird way the next time you you finish editing it.
    Yes, I have had that issue for awhile now. Every now and again it changes the formatting of the text for no real reason. I then am forced to resize my text box to get it back to the way it was. One of those Revit issues I have learned to put up with. I don't like it though.

Current Local Time
    10:45 PM

Any word or experience about text generator extension?(subscription pack).

Current Local Time

So Sad

This is such a sad post.

These workarounds only drive home how unfortunate the text handling in Revit is.

And that for most of the needs we have, there are no workarounds that don't involve a lot of brain damage.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    We do all of those things in extra key Schedules that we dont use for anything else. Its in Revit, you can type in Revit. It word wraps paragraphs, etc. There are a few limitations to it... But (though this sounds harsh)- ive never had a problem getting a good and readable set of drawings out the door with it. A lot of people want fluffy text editing (and i guess i can understand it), but the more we move towards intelligent tags, Smart Keynotes, etc... I just dont need much from a text editor.
    What kind of category to you create your general notes key schedule under?
    I picked a Switch System, as I'm guessing I'll never use that in my Architectural model...?
    My first thoughts on this method of doing General Notes is pretty positive. I really like the ability to change the column widths and split the schedule and have everything automatically adjust. Pretty slick.