Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharing Content - Common RFO "Style Guide" ?

Current Local Time
    10:38 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lightbulb Sharing Content - Common RFO "Style Guide" ?

Late last year, in a thread at AUGI (post #14), Gordon suggested to create a shared "Style Guide". I┤d love to evolve that concept here !

As we all know, creating content is a real time killer, and can be very difficult to cope for especially smaller firms. Here at RFO many of us are self employed, or employees at smaller firms, and we could all benefit a great deal, if we could agree on a common "style guide" and start some serious content sharing (even the large companies could benefit from this as well)

I realize that it┤s a huge task, and that it may end up being very difficult to agree on such a "style guide", but IMHO it┤s worth a shot !

So, before I start creating mile long "to do lists", I┤d like to know if anyone is sharing my passion for this ?
    Last edited by Munkholm; February 17th, 2011 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Fixed link

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    03:38 PM

We had an AU unconference based on this premise, and im long-overdue on uploading some content for peer review, along with our entire shared parameters text file. Also- to be fair- i told the folks at Seek i would include them, and since AU ive been delinquent in getting it uploaded. It just takes a lot of time.

Current Local Time

Yah, unfortunately I was not at AU this year, but would love to hear more about the session you guys had.

Also, Aaron, it just doesn't seem fair/right that you should be doing all the foot work on a project like this. And with all due respect of the SEEK team, I do believe that we would be able to move a lot faster if we just stuck to a RFO "Style Guide", without involving "too" many other parties... Just my opinion of course - Thoughts anyone?

Current Local Time
    04:38 PM

This would be great. Count me in!

Current Local Time
    07:38 AM

I'm keen !

"I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Current Local Time
    01:38 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Munkholm View Post
    Late last year, in a thread at AUGI (post #14), Gordon suggested to create a shared "Style Guide". I┤d love to evolve that concept here !

As we all know, creating content is a real time killer, and can be very difficult to cope for especially smaller firms. Here at RFO many of us are self employed, or employees at smaller firms, and we could all benefit a great deal, if we could agree on a common "style guide" and start some serious content sharing (even the large companies could benefit from this as well)

I realize that it┤s a huge task, and that it may end up being very difficult to agree on such a "style guide", but IMHO it┤s worth a shot !

So, before I start creating mile long "to do lists", I┤d like to know if anyone is sharing my passion for this ?
    Interesting concept. I have been involved with a group of individuals for years that do what I do, detail curtain walls and such, and we have been sharing Acad content for a long time. We have a central library of files which now exceeds 100,000 .dwg files. In reality these people are my competition but we have long since put that aside because the benefit far outweighs any possible negatives. I have tried to get this going with a few like curtain wall detailers who are using Revit but it's an involved process as we are all at different levels of experience and commitment to the program.

I have the commitment to the program but given my experience compared to a lot of others around here I don't know how much I could help out. I'd be willing to give it a shot though.

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    03:38 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Munkholm View Post
    Yah, unfortunately I was not at AU this year, but would love to hear more about the session you guys had.

Also, Aaron, it just doesn't seem fair/right that you should be doing all the foot work on a project like this. And with all due respect of the SEEK team, I do believe that we would be able to move a lot faster if we just stuck to a RFO "Style Guide", without involving "too" many other parties... Just my opinion of course - Thoughts anyone?
    Whatever you guys do here is great... for you guys. The reason i will be talking with and handing my stuff over to the Seek team, is: The entire model for downloadable content fallas apart, if whats OUT there is garbage. Whats out THERE is garbage, because the people writing the standards dont know any better.

We can all trade content, and thats all good. But hundreds of manufacturers, theyre going to go to Autodesk. And theyre going to build crap. Unless we educate them. THAT, is my goal. Honestly, im not really looking for other peoples content. Id rather see the market for downloads becomes something decent.

Current Local Time

Wow Aaron, that┤s quite a vision, and a HUGE task to take on While I think what you┤re doing with SEEK is great, I┤m also thinking that it will take a looong time before it┤s of any use. (standard to be written, approved, etc. and not least getting the manufactures to build, or even rebuild, their stuff)

What I┤m hoping to get going here would be on a smaller scale, and could hopefully be useful within a few months... And unlike you, I AM looking to use others content, and to share mine - but everything must be build by the same set of standards (style guide), why that should be step number one

Anyone still with me ?

"Mark Twain"
    Current Local Time
    08:38 PM

I'm in...
    Suggesting NOT to go with Google Docs, cause this will absolutely kill this project.

Current Local Time
    02:38 PM

I'm in for helping where I can... I'm in the process of rebuilding/reorganizing our office library anyway...