Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Curved Curtain Wall

Current Local Time
    06:28 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Curved Curtain Wall

I need to make a curved curtain wall. I know that the more curtain grids you place the smoother the "curve" will be, but it will still be faceted. How do you recommend going about creating a curved parametric panel?

Current Local Time
    03:28 AM

Never done it, but I think that I┤d create a custom curtain panel with a radius, and also make the horizontal "mullions" part of the panel (if they need to be curved too ?)

BTW - Who on heavens earth can afford a curved curtain wall these days ?

"I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Munkholm View Post
    BTW - Who on heavens earth can afford a curved curtain wall these days ?
    I see lots of curved glass in curtain walls, glass railings, etc but have yet to do one in Revit. I'm sure it's just around the corner so I'm paying attention here

Current Local Time
    12:28 PM

Two ways you could do it.

1. The cheat way, create a curved wall, make the wall thickness your glass thickness with a glass material. Then for mullions do them with horizontal and vertical wall sweeps, make your own profile. (see image). cheating I know but if you want it done quick and not worried to much about fine detail "and" you also get curved mullions ( which i don't think would happen in the real world ?)

2. Or make a custom curved curtain panel set at you desired radius and swap out panels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mark b; February 15th, 2011 at 08:02 PM. Reason: wrong panel

Current Local Time

Curtain Wall panels are straight segments and you would need to figure out the radius to create a curved panel.
    I would create a mass in your project and us the Curtain System by Face tool, you can create the curtain grids and mullions the same way as you would for Curtain wall.

Current Local Time

I haven't looked for this in a while since the cost is prohibitive for 99.999% of projects but there is a a curved curtain panel in the old Revit Libraries; at least in the 2009 libraries (I can't check 2011 since goBIM is trying to export a model right now) http://revit.autodesk.com/library/ar...tml/index.html
    Quote Originally Posted by t1shep View Post
    I need to make a curved curtain wall. I know that the more curtain grids you place the smoother the "curve" will be, but it will still be faceted. How do you recommend going about creating a curved parametric panel?

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by JBZ View Post
    I haven't looked for this in a while since the cost is prohibitive for 99.999% of projects but there is a a curved curtain panel in the old Revit Libraries; at least in the 2009 libraries (I can't check 2011 since goBIM is trying to export a model right now) http://revit.autodesk.com/library/ar...tml/index.html
    The second attachment in post #4 is a Curved Curtain Wall Panel family with adjustable radius just adjust radius to suit your requirements.

Current Local Time

http://www.screencast.com/t/iemnCX2Kkga
    oK. I'm trying to recreate what you did Mark. What am I doing wrong? Why can't I create a parametric arc that has a flexible radius and a flexible length?

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by t1shep View Post
    http://www.screencast.com/t/iemnCX2Kkga
    oK. I'm trying to recreate what you did Mark. What am I doing wrong? Why can't I create a parametric arc that has a flexible radius and a flexible length?
    Open the family I posted and have a look at it. If you delete the panel you will notice that under the panel is a 'curved reference line" which is being driven by the radius dimension and the panel is attached to the reference line.
    There is an eaiser way to make Curved curtain Wall in my other post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 01.jpg  
    Last edited by mark b; March 8th, 2011 at 09:15 PM.

Current Local Time

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1103011_ADMIN ENTRY.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	1124OK...I am sort of close to what I want...I was able to create the curved piece that I was after, but now I need it to do a little something different...See attached image.
    What I'm really trying to create are curved terracotta baguettes (sunshade.) I have different radius curves at different areas of the building. There are some instances where the there are two tangent curves together, and most of the time they transition into a straight segment. In addition, the lengths of the louvers vary, as does the material/color.
    As an in-place family, I can obviously create these. But they all become instances/ individual families and become a bear to edit and change the properties of.
    Any thoughts on an efficient, easy to manipulate and modify technique for doing this?