Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Select type of sections to turn off in interior elevations

Current Local Time
    11:07 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Select type of sections to turn off in interior elevations

I have a three types of sections and want to turn off 2 of 3 sections in a view.
    Sections
    Wall sections
    Detail sections

In my interior elevations I want to turn off my sections and wall sections but not the detail sections. I have had to go thru all of the views and hide them manually. But I am so sick of that. Is there any what to turn them off in all interior elevations at one shot.

I though make sections and wall sections on there own worksets or place them in a filter but I cant figure out how

Any ideas?

Current Local Time
    12:07 AM

You could try hiding what you want in one view and the save that out as a view template. Then apply that template to other interior views. Not sure if that will filter out section types or not...but its worth a try.

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time
    01:07 AM

Dude, I used to live in Rialto! I used to ride my bike to Fontana every day to ride my friends half pipe. Small world.

Okay, anyway, I had the same issue when I started Revit a few months ago. It's actually pretty simple.

Go to one of your views that has the sections. Open up the visibility graphics for that view (in your properties palette), and go to the filter tab. Click on "edit/new" button on the bottom left.

Here is where you will make a filter for each type of section. On the left, under the white box, hit the new button. Name it wall section. In the categories box, check section. In the filter rules box, set it up so:
    Filter by is set to Family and Type, then equals, then Wall Section. Do this for every type of section you have.

Now, when you exit out of the "edit/new" box, after you have created your section types, click on the add button. Add each of your sections. There will be a check box for visibilty after you add them. Check the one you want to see in the view, and uncheck the other two.

You will have to set this up for every view that has sections. Now the filters are set up for the views.

Okay, now you have to create the different section types. Select any section and edit the type. Hit duplicate, and create the 3 section types. Name them the same name you used in the filter. Now, select whatever sections are detail sections and make them the detail section type. Same with the other two.

Now the filter should work. It sounds like a lot of work, but it's really not. It's pretty simple.

EDIT: I just reread your post and totally missed the part about doing it all in one shot. You will do the same thing as above, but (like Chad suggested) you will have to set up a view template. Basically, get one view to look the way you want. Then go to views, view templates, create template from view. Name it something like Interor Plan or whatever. Then, you can set the default view template in the properties palette for every Interior view. Once you set it, go to views , view templates, apply default template to current view.

You can't do this all in one shot that I know of, you will have to do it for every view. But, it sure beats hiding them manually in every view.
    Last edited by dzatto; February 11th, 2011 at 07:36 PM.

"Mark Twain"
    Current Local Time
    06:07 AM

My guess would be that if they actually are different types you should be able to create view templates for your interior elevations which have these particular types turned off.
    Turn them off manually in one view, rightclick the view in the project browser, select "create template from view" and apply this template to all views necessary views

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by mdradvies View Post
    My guess would be that if they actually are different types you should be able to create view templates for your interior elevations which have these particular types turned off.
    Turn them off manually in one view, rightclick the view in the project browser, select "create template from view" and apply this template to all views necessary views
    Why didn't you post before me?! Yeah, that would be simpler. I was trying to create filters. So my question now is, why do filters? Why not just create view templates and be done with it?

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by dzatto View Post
    Dude, I used to live in Rialto! I used to ride my bike to Fontana every day to ride my friends half pipe. Small world.

Okay, anyway, I had the same issue when I started Revit a few months ago. It's actually pretty simple.

Go to one of your views that has the sections. Open up the visibility graphics for that view (in your properties palette), and go to the filter tab. Click on "edit/new" button on the bottom left.

Here is where you will make a filter for each type of section. On the left, under the white box, hit the new button. Name it wall section. In the categories box, check section. In the filter rules box, set it up so:
    Filter by is set to Family and Type, then equals, then Wall Section. Do this for every type of section you have.

Now, when you exit out of the "edit/new" box, after you have created your section types, click on the add button. Add each of your sections. There will be a check box for visibilty after you add them. Check the one you want to see in the view, and uncheck the other two.

You will have to set this up for every view that has sections. Now the filters are set up for the views.

Okay, now you have to create the different section types. Select any section and edit the type. Hit duplicate, and create the 3 section types. Name them the same name you used in the filter. Now, select whatever sections are detail sections and make them the detail section type. Same with the other two.

Now the filter should work. It sounds like a lot of work, but it's really not. It's pretty simple.

EDIT: I just reread your post and totally missed the part about doing it all in one shot. You will do the same thing as above, but (like Chad suggested) you will have to set up a view template. Basically, get one view to look the way you want. Then go to views, view templates, create template from view. Name it something like Interor Plan or whatever. Then, you can set the default view template in the properties palette for every Interior view. Once you set it, go to views , view templates, apply default template to current view.

You can't do this all in one shot that I know of, you will have to do it for every view. But, it sure beats hiding them manually in every view.
    Awesome. That worked like a dream. I knew Revit could do it I just didn't know how. Awesome.

Yea I live and work in Fontana, It is rad. I should say North Fontana.... What's funny is that I am Huge Dallas Cowboys fan.... never been but I herd that Dallas and Austin are awesome cities. Some day I will get out there and see Dallas stadium, What a building!

Thanks for the help..... Ill keep holding down the I.E. for you ..... LOL

"Mark Twain"
    Current Local Time
    06:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by dzatto View Post
    Why didn't you post before me?! Yeah, that would be simpler. I was trying to create filters. So my question now is, why do filters? Why not just create view templates and be done with it?
    Well, because I was wrong, you do need filters for this... Turns out that the V/G Override in the View Template behaves mildly weird (read: it turned off all my sections when I tested this). So, first filters, then view template. Doesn't work otherwise.

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Wadeshuey View Post
    Awesome. That worked like a dream. I knew Revit could do it I just didn't know how. Awesome.

Yea I live and work in Fontana, It is rad. I should say North Fontana.... What's funny is that I am Huge Dallas Cowboys fan.... never been but I herd that Dallas and Austin are awesome cities. Some day I will get out there and see Dallas stadium, What a building!

Thanks for the help..... Ill keep holding down the I.E. for you ..... LOL
    Inland Empire! Damn, I haven't heard that in years. lol
    Dallas is okay. Great for restaurants, though. Austin is awesome. I'd go there first if I had a choice.
    Cowboys stadium is a great building. Love Jerry or hate him, he built one hell of a building. It's cool inside as well. The screens above the field are crazy big when you see them in person.

Quote Originally Posted by mdradvies View Post
    Well, because I was wrong, you do need filters for this... Turns out that the V/G Override in the View Template behaves mildly weird (read: it turned off all my sections when I tested this). So, first filters, then view template. Doesn't work otherwise.
    So I was correct! Take note people, it doens't happen very often. lol

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time

Take it one step further, and make different types of Sections and Elevations for all of the different portions of your work: Building Sections, Wall Sections, Site Sections, Demolition Sections, Millwork Sections, Detail Sections, Building Elevations, Interior Elevations, Millwork Elevations, Demolition Elevations...

Then give them all Filters, and load them in to every view template. Thats how ours are set up.

Current Local Time

Thanks guys.....this is great to know. We could have used this on one of our projects. I know i looked at filtering sections a version or two or three back, but it wasn't an option. Was this new in 2011? Hope it hasn't been around since 2010 or even 2009 and i just didn't know about it.

- Jon