Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 2500 USD, Received: 2249 USD (90%)

Thread: Titleblock vs Detail Item

Current Local Time
    09:30 AM

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Titleblock vs Detail Item

I have a very strange one here. I am not even sure how to ask the question. Here goes:
    I have a project with our standard titleblocks loaded. Somehow a user, while editing a Detail Component type, ended up naming the Detail Component type with the same name as our titleblock family. Now all the titleblocks have dissappeared because you cannot place detail components on sheets. There are more than 250 sheets in this project, so I would rather not tell the team that they have to re-insert all the titleblocks.
    I have tried renaming the families, renaming the types, reloading the families, etc. - virtually every combination of trying to remedy this, but it always seems to boil down to the fact that somehow the family category of the object has been scrambled by the type name transposition. Has anyone come across anything like this before? Picture below for reference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TitleblockWTF.png  

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    11:30 AM

Even if they have to:

Place one Titleblock in the correct space. Copy to Clipboard. Paste > Aligned to Selected Views > Select all sheets.

Current Local Time
    03:30 AM

I just tried to figure out the workflow to cause the problem, you cannot actually load in a detail item with the same name as a titleblock family, it sees the conflict and throws up a warning, but you can rename a detail item in the project without a problem.

But when I did rename a detail item, nothing seemed to happen, the titleblocks stayed on the sheets. I tried close the file and reopening, I also tried creating new sheets. And I can place the detail item on a view

Can you actually select all instances on the titleblock family? do you get any results in the filter?

As Aaron said, you can paste the titleblocks to the sheet, but you will loose any instance properties which may be controlling scalebars northpoints etc.

It may be one to send back to the Factory to see what magic they can do if you are on subscription support

Current Local Time

Thanks, Aaron and Ben-May for the suggestions. I could not figure out how to reproduce the situation either.
    I can select all instances of both the titleblock and the detail item and the program returns the same item filter number - 251. They seem to be pointing to the same set of objects. When I select either category, the context tab that comes up on the ribbon says "Modify|Detail Components". I also used Ideate Explorer to check both selections and they seemed to come up with the same element IDs as well. Whacked.
    This seems like one for the factory. I will ask the team to follow Aaron's suggestion about replacing the titleblocks, but I would really like to know what series of events could lead to something like this. You know what they say about foolproof systems...
    Luckily, we are not currently up against a printing deadline. Thanks again, gentlemen.

Current Local Time
    10:30 AM

Re-name the DC, then go into the titleblock family (edit family) then just reload it....That should put it back to normal...if this was the issue. Either way you should take a look at the titleblock family.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by gdoherty0102 View Post
    Re-name the DC, then go into the titleblock family (edit family) then just reload it....That should put it back to normal...if this was the issue. Either way you should take a look at the titleblock family.
    Well, that was the first thing I tried. Renaming the detail component and then reloading the TB does not work in this case. It still thinks there are 251 detail components with a different name where the TBs should be and all of the TBs disappear. In fact, I think that is the fundamental issue - the TBs are actually gone, Revit just cannot let go for some reason.
    There is nothing wrong with the TB family than I can discern - it has been used successfully on thousands of sheets without problems. It seems that one user on this project has a particular genius for crossing Revit's wires. I cannot begin to guess how it happened.

"Mark Twain"
    Current Local Time
    04:30 PM

Try this:
    Do not rename DC, open TB, CHANGE SOMETHING, and then reload. Choose the lower option (overwrite the existing version and all parameters).

As for the crossover itself: this is plain wacky and should not be able to happen... I would ship it to the factory to see if they can figure it out. But I wouldn't bet on it...

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by mdradvies View Post
    Try this:
    Do not rename DC, open TB, CHANGE SOMETHING, and then reload. Choose the lower option (overwrite the existing version and all parameters).

As for the crossover itself: this is plain wacky and should not be able to happen... I would ship it to the factory to see if they can figure it out. But I wouldn't bet on it...
    Nope. Tried that too. While the TB is still listed in the project browser under annotation symbols, if I create a new sheet, it is not listed under the list of titleblocks already loaded into the project. If I try to purge unused, it will let me purge the TB, but not the detail component.

I agree that this type of thing should not be able to happen. But I have come to the conclusion that I do not want to know how it happened. The fact that the fix was easy to implement is satisfying enough. If it happens again though, that is a different story.

Current Local Time
    10:30 AM

All your TBs switched to the DC. This is why neither renaming the DC nor renaming the TB works.

Try renaming the DC then do a select all instances and change it to the TB. This may not work of you have the DC in views, to get this to work then you will either have to find and delete/unselect the DC in the views or go into each sheet, find the DC and change it back to the titleblock family.