Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 2500 USD, Received: 2249 USD (90%)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hollow Core Precast Slab - Custom Width

Current Local Time
    11:13 AM

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Hollow Core Precast Slab - Custom Width

Hello All

I have downloaded a Hollow Core Precast Slab from the Autodesk Seek, and have modified it so that when I put the precast slabs on plan I am able to flex the slab to a custom width. I have already modified the family to flex and is working however, the cores that were drawn retain their original position and do not move when i flex the edge of the slab. In one of the end views you will see in the attached jpeg.

can anyone tell me how to set the core offset dimension to be linked to the end of the edge of the slab.

Thanks

Kevin

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails custom precast slab-end.JPG   custom precast slab-3d.JPG  

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time
    10:13 AM

It looks like you need to align the edge of the slab to the right RP and lock it. The width paramter is there, but the slab edge isn't locked to it.

Current Local Time

I see what you are saying but I want to be able to modify the width of the precast slab in plan as required to adjust to the arch drawing. If i lock it to the right RP, and then try to flex the side one side of the pc slab, then I get a message "...does not satisfy constraints.." I don't think i will be able to adjust the width. Do I keep the dimension as a type parameter or changed it to a instance parameter. I am thinking it should be an instance parameter. Please see attached modified family.

Basically, for the end result, what I am looking for is this. I want load this family into a project, drawing the pc slab, and when i come to the edge of the floor where the distance from the pc slab to the edge of the floor slab based upon the arch dwgs is less then 4'-0", I want to adjust in plan the width of the pc slab.
    Attached Files Attached Files

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time

Well, the family you posted works.
    If I understand you correctly, you want to be able to flex only one side? The other side will be aligned to a slab edge?

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time

Wait, why did you put in an array? Will there ever be more than 2 cores?

Current Local Time

I didn't put in an array, the family that I had uploaded was created by others and all i did was removed the constraints on the dimensions so that I can "stretch" if you will the width of the pc slab. my only problem is now is that when i modify the pc slab the cores (i think they are void extrusions but I need someone with good revit experience to tell me if I am right, as I am new to revit) if someone and/or I can solve the problem with the cores to move with the edge of slab then I would be good to go.

yes there will be more than two cores. standard pc slab at 4' wide slab has 6 to 8 cores depending on manuf. when I reduced the width which will most of the times i want to be able to have the cores adjust automatically. just want the core problem to be resolved first as stated above. then will work on this one.
    Last edited by kev4174; January 6th, 2012 at 01:09 PM.

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time

As far as I know, the only way to get the cores to increase in number as it stretches it to put in an array.

Just to be clear, you want one edge to be stationary, and only be able to adjust the other edge when you change the width. Correct? I'll give it a go and post what I come up with.

Another thing I noticed is the depth is set to offset from the reference plane in both directions. Wouldn't you want it to go below the reference plane only? I mean, a slab starts at whatever level it's on and goes down. You want the family to do the same thing?
    Last edited by dzatto; January 6th, 2012 at 05:05 PM.

Current Local Time

Dan

If the only way to get this to work is to have one side fixed than that would be okay. If it is possible to have both sides to be flexed than that would be perferred. I was trying to give myself some flexibility. I figured it doesn't really have to exact but representable, after all the pc supplier is just going to do their own layout.

As far as your second question, no, i don't think this needs to be changed, currently i am changing the top offset as required.

Thanks for your attempt.

Kevin

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time

Okay, one more question. I don't use these at all, so I'm a little clueless as to the orientation. Do the cores of the pc slab go perpendicular to the floor edge or parallel?

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, this family works for me the way it is. The cores move with the edge. The only thing I did was fix the edge that wasn't attached to a reference plan (it was off a little).

When I insert it in the project, all the parameters work. If the cores are perpendicular to the slab edge, you can use the align tool. If the are parallel, you have to input the width in the properties.