X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wadeshuey
    • January 3, 2011
    • Fontana CA USA

High End Cabinet Families

Does any one know were to get High End cabinet families. We are working on a very large custom home. It has a Italian meditation design. And the owner wants to see the kitchen design. :beer:
  • Twiceroadsfool
    Administrator
    • December 7, 2010
    • Dallas, TX

IMHO the only decenty way is to make them yourself, the way your office wants to use them. i find this to be a VERy touchy specific thing.

We just rebuilt all of our millwork, using Shared parameters for all valuables, nested families for hardware, etc.... But, its useless out of our office. Its built to populate a specific Millwork Table, and to reference specific details that are non-size-specific, so they reference the live table with the shared parameter data.

Its been predisposed to have the panels themselves nested in as families as well, although we havent pushed that out yet.

But my point is, its a very personal thing for each office. Ive seen people who are happy with the AWI garb- uh, stuff... But i found at some point it needs to be built specifically by and for the people who want to use it.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

• mdradvies
      "Mark Twain"
      • December 16, 2010
      • Boxtel, Netherlands

I agree. I'm guessing the owner doesn't want a OOTB kitchen from IKEA or something. So, get an interior designer and build the families yourself as he designed them.
      Martijn de Riet
      Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
      MdR Advies
      Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

• Wadeshuey
        • January 3, 2011
        • Fontana CA USA

I was not trying to hurt anyone's feeling. I was just hoping to cut down the hours involved customizing by asking to see if any one knew a good site to get them. I will make them at this point. I know I will get what I want that way.

Thanks for the replies!:beer:

Comment

• Twiceroadsfool
          Administrator
          • December 7, 2010
          • Dallas, TX

yeah, its just my opinion, but there really arent any shortcuts. I've spent about 40 hours in it so far, for casework.
          Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation

Comment

• Wadeshuey
            • January 3, 2011
            • Fontana CA USA

No its cool it was just a reality check this morning. Some times we need then to see things clearly. I know I have it in me to design this kick ass kitchen, but at the same time it is just a huge house. We had to make huge cuts in personnel this mouth so its just me working on this project. I'll get through it and it will be great kitchen!

Comment

• Twiceroadsfool
              Administrator
              • December 7, 2010
              • Dallas, TX

Content is brutal. i think- all said and done- ive got close to 6 or 7 months full time, on our office library... And its nowhere NEAR done.

Comment

• Chadwick17
                • December 7, 2010
                • Fort Collins, CO

And the real burn is that you can't even trust the BIM content from the manufacturer itself. I've gotten files from window companies, lighting companies, casework, etc. and have found that they don't flex, don't display right, etc.

I'm of the idea that it's just easier to start from scratch sometimes - or at least go in knowing you'll have to modify the content you start with (which, in a lot of cases, can be more time consuming than starting from scratch).
                Chad Koscinski | Architect

Comment

• Twiceroadsfool
                  Administrator
                  • December 7, 2010
                  • Dallas, TX

We have standing orders in our office that NOTHING is to be downloaded. Not from Manufacturers, not from Revit City, not from Seek, etc. And if someone submits a content request and i cant get it done, and they download it, they need to email it to me for review. Its not a self importance thing, but the crap out there than manufacturers are slinging as "BIM" content is ridiculous.

Comment

• Wadeshuey
                    • January 3, 2011
                    • Fontana CA USA

I hate to say this but not every one will have that luxury of a no download polices. Small firms like ours have to create as we go and it is easier to just grab from Revit city, SEEK or other places to get the drawing done. That being said we still do create content. It is just Job by Job and as we can do it.

We have friend that working in bigger 20 people plus firms and they have one man working all day to convert content for them.

I wish we had that by for now I will have to stick with the downloads.

Comment