Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: High End Cabinet Families

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    07:31 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Instance is the only way to fly.

As an FYI, we have a pretty open policy about sharing office content. Actually, on BIMExpert.com its all available for free download, but its all the stuff BEFORE i got hired (their old library was pretty rough). There IS a goal to get all of our new stuff up there (doors, millwork, equipment, etc), but its far down on the priority list. Once its up there you can all play with it.

The only thing not going up is the template itself.

"Mark Twain"
    Current Local Time
    12:31 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    Instance is the only way to fly.

As an FYI, we have a pretty open policy about sharing office content. Actually, on BIMExpert.com its all available for free download, but its all the stuff BEFORE i got hired (their old library was pretty rough). There IS a goal to get all of our new stuff up there (doors, millwork, equipment, etc), but its far down on the priority list. Once its up there you can all play with it.

The only thing not going up is the template itself.
    Be sure to post when you upload... would like to see it (couldn't use any of it because it's imperial, but would love to look around).

BTW: why instance?

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time

I understand liking instance over type, but wouldn't type be better for some things? For instance, when I build a tunnel car wash, all the windows in the tunnel are identical. Wouldn't it be better to build a window for tunnels car washes that is type based? That way I could change them all at once without having to select every window.

Current Local Time

For windows it might. For doors, i really dont think it does. Very rarely do i say "i want every door that is 2'-8" wide..." and use select all instances. And if i every have a need to, its a filter away in the schedule.

But, when you factor in: Frame Type (sidelight, transom), Panel Type (HL, F, SL, etc), Width, Height, etc... Its EXPONENTIAL with how many types there are.

Do one project with your Door options set to instance, youll never go back. Thats how ACA was, and it was awesome.

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time

For windows it might. For doors, i really dont think it does. Very rarely do i say "i want every door that is 2'-8" wide..." and use select all instances. And if i every have a need to, its a filter away in the schedule.

But, when you factor in: Frame Type (sidelight, transom), Panel Type (HL, F, SL, etc), Width, Height, etc... Its EXPONENTIAL with how many types there are.

Do one project with your Door options set to instance, youll never go back. Thats how ACA was, and it was awesome.
    Yep, I was just thinking about that. Everything was an instance. Yep, that's how I like it. I'm convinced, now work on Martijn. lol

"Mark Twain"
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by dzatto View Post
    Yep, I was just thinking about that. Everything was an instance. Yep, that's how I like it. I'm convinced, now work on Martijn. lol
    LOL, won't happen here.
    Seriously though: panel and frame types are instance, just as any material parameters (for both doors and windows btw). All dimensions are type parameters. We have strict building codes on that and, as a result, a few standard sizes in which a door comes, so it wouldn't do any good to make those instance. As for windows: they are dimensioned to lign up with the brickwork, which has standard sizes. Here also no need for a whole lot of different types.
    On the other hand: we also have a lot of lazy architects who go around stretching their windows and doors to the approximate seize and go
    "mwah, this ought to sort of do it in general....". Then they type "measuring to be checked on site" on a sheet to be done with it. NO instance dimension parameters here!

Current Local Time

Instance Parameters and Stretchy-pull-tabs are mutually exclusive.

Our sizes are Instance parameters, that can ONLY be changed by typing in a value in the properties palette. Align/Move does not alter them, and there are no pull tabs. If someone gets a goofy sized door, its because they typed in a goofy size, and they get held accountable.

"Mark Twain"
    Current Local Time

Instance Parameters and Stretchy-pull-tabs are mutually exclusive.

Our sizes are Instance parameters, that can ONLY be changed by typing in a value in the properties palette. Align/Move does not alter them, and there are no pull tabs. If someone gets a goofy sized door, its because they typed in a goofy size, and they get held accountable.
    So, for the post of the month: how do you accomplish this? I have seen this before (sometimes there is a pull tab, sometimes there isn't) but never figured out how you prevent this from happening.

Current Local Time
    02:31 AM

I bought some of the Revit-Content stuff, and my sense is this: IF everything you ever need is possible with the family as provided, it can work well. And IF your projects are small and your computer capable, the heaviness of the families won't be a problem.
    However, as soon as you need something slightly different, and the difference is not just changing a parameter to a new value, say adding a light shelf to the door, then the complexity of the family makes it VERY hard to get what you want. And if you need just one of the available 100 types of door, but you need that door repeated 300 times, then the weight of the family can start to cause problems.
    But as an education in what is possible, that stuff is pretty darn useful. I have NOT made the family available in the office library, however.

Gordon

Current Local Time
    10:31 AM

I have bought quire a few of their families.

As Gordon has noted they are pretty heavy on computer resources - so much so, that for most of the families I have stopped using them.

The ones I still use from time to time are:

The elevator family as I would use it only three or four times a year and I wouldn't spend the time making my own family.
    The parametric swimming pool for the above reasons
    The kitchen family as it doesn't seem as resource hungry as some of the doors etc and you can put together a pretty good generic or semi generic kitchen without a lot of effort.

I had emailed and PM'd them a number of times to discuss the drag on resources - my understanding is that they will address this and create a new interface for their families in the next release. It will be interesting to see how they go.