Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phased Materials

Current Local Time
    11:13 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Phased Materials

Just to get the forum rolling this is an old post from else where

How is everyone dealing with "phased materials" (one of my wish list items) an example.
    -You have an existing brick wall then in the new phase the wall is rendered and painted.
    -an existing plasterboard wall striped and timber cladding applied.
    I know there are workarounds like demolish walls and replace (which is not the real senario), overlaying walls which is messy, applying a thin skin etc.

Just throwing this out there for any more ideas.

P.S
    Munkholm, you can have my cookies, by the time they get to Australia they will be crumbs.
    Last edited by mark b; December 7th, 2010 at 08:19 PM.

Current Local Time
    06:13 PM

I've been working on a project currently that deals with this...kind of. We are retrofitting an office into a former big box building. We are painting the CMU block to create a new pattern along the non-prominent walls. I've used split face and paint while in a New Construction phase and it seems to have worked out OK. But that's along as the material remains the same. In other instances where the material changes we've demo'd out the wall and put in the new one. I know it's not realistic so I'd like to hear how others handle this also...

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    07:13 PM

We actually model all of our finishes (exteriors included) as completely seperate wall types, to deal with this, among many other situations that come up in practice. It SOUNDS like a lot of work in concept, but its not, once you start to do it. We have our doors built so they can *throw* out of one wall to sit between two joined walls, to accurately cover Wythe's the way they do in real life, without any of the ridiculous 12 inch thick frames revit puts on 12 inch CMU blocks.

It works wonderfully. You demolish the wall, but the "wall" is just the Finish.

Current Local Time
    06:13 PM

After you build the wall system out of multiple walls do you lock them all to each other to prevent them from moving independent of each other? It seems like there is potential for wall systems fragmenting as the model moves further along...

Current Local Time

After a quick experiment Aaron's work around has merit. I did lock wall ends and side and both walls move fine, also obviously join geometry so components cut. Only problem is wall "application" thickness gets very thin if say being paint finish, so gets very hard to see.
    But the theory works fine so will experiment a bit more.

Current Local Time
    05:13 PM

I'm inclined to use the method Aaron describes for actual material changes (though sometimes I'll just use a note), but for something like "paint", I'm definitely inclined to use notes/tags/keynotes, etc. and/or a room schedule.

Current Local Time

For paint, we just use the paint tool. The only time i advocate using the paint tool is basically painting entire walls.

We use Join geo, and generally dont HAVE to lock them together. If you want to, sure. But its just not that hard for people to select the 2 or 3 before moving commands. But you can lock them, sure.

We also take advantage of Filters tremendously. We have about 15 filters that preload in to every view in every project, EXT-fin walls and INT-fin walls included. So you can dress them up, or take them out.

Current Local Time

From a 3d graphic point of view we like to flick between existing and new to show clients the visual difference between the two phases which is where I am coming from with phased material, to show face brick wall then rendered and painted brick wall instantly in view of clients.
    Can filters acheive this??

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by mark b View Post
    From a 3d graphic point of view we like to flick between existing and new to show clients the visual difference between the two phases which is where I am coming from with phased material, to show face brick wall then rendered and painted brick wall instantly in view of clients.
    Can filters acheive this??
    Phase Filters can achieve that, you dont need a Filter. Filters cant discern Phasing.

Current Local Time
    05:13 PM

But Paint doesn't have a Phase, does it? So, I think Mark was asking if you wanted to show the same wall in 3D with the original brick as "existing", and the painted brick as "new", is there anyway to do that? Hmm...