Thread: Revit maximum capacity as a software

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    08:26 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Revit maximum capacity as a software

Hi,

We are focusing right now to work with Autodesk software on Microsoft Azure's Virtual Machines.

In this service you can choose a lot of configurations for processor, RAM and GPU, but the higher you go, the more you pay.

And because of that some question came to my mind - does Revit have some kind of hardware maximum capacity. I mean something like in the past Windows XP would not benefit from more than 4 GB of RAM.

So - is there a maximum capacity for amount of RAM or core GHz or memory of graphic card?

And in general - what are your experiences with Revit on Azure?

2.    #2
    Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    10:26 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Short answer, no other than it doesn't use multiple cores very much. Your wallet and the hardware itself will hit a maximum before Revit will. The real question is how far above the minimum recommendations from Autodesk do you need to go.

3.    #3
    Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    12:26 PM

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaducki View Post
    Hi,

We are focusing right now to work with Autodesk software on Microsoft Azure's Virtual Machines.

In this service you can choose a lot of configurations for processor, RAM and GPU, but the higher you go, the more you pay.

And because of that some question came to my mind - does Revit have some kind of hardware maximum capacity. I mean something like in the past Windows XP would not benefit from more than 4 GB of RAM.

So - is there a maximum capacity for amount of RAM or core GHz or memory of graphic card?

And in general - what are your experiences with Revit on Azure?
    Revit on Azure is just Revit running in a VDI environment, which can run "fine" but it cant compare with the speeds of *high end* desktop computers.

CPU: As Steve mentioned Revit is MOSTLY a single core, sometimes two, and only more than two when it renders. But you may want more than 2 so revit isnt maxing out the machine. I would say 4 at least. But CPU speeds will be way lower, too. Last i checked (which was a full year ago) the Server Processors were in the 3.4-3.6(?)Ghz range. Considering a personal desktop can now run in the 4.7-5.1 range, thats not awesome... But its "decent."

RAM: Depends on the types of projects you work on. I have 64GB on my daily machines, but a lot of people get by with 32GB. Server RAM also wont be as fast as desktop RAM, which just slows down performance a small amount.

GPU: This is where VDI gets mad expensive. Youll notice you get a choice of "Profiles" in terms of how much vGPU your rented machine has. More GPU will make the cost skyrocket, since vGPU cards are way more expensive than desktop cards, in a size comparison. I have an 11GB GPU, but revit doesnt use anywhere near that amount. Having said that, i wouldnt even want to work on a machine that doesnt have 3 or 4GB of GPU RAM. You CAN work on 2GB (or even 1GB) of GPU, if you dont want to see al lthe pretty graphics all the time. And 2GB is probably the ceiling (im guessing) on what you will want to pay for, VDI wise. Unless the newer vGPU cards came way down in price, which i doubt.

4.    #4
    Current Local Time

I've just learned what little I know about VDIs from sitting next to our server guy, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong here. And I certainly know nothing about Azure.
    That said, from what I understand, everyone using the VDI is sharing the same memory, so it depends on if this is a dedicated VDI, or if yo're going to have multiple people on the same server at the same time. Whatever you configure, they'll get - until you hit the physical memory on the machine. Then they start grabbing what they need from someone else, and you get into a mainframe timesharing concept, which can really slow things down.

5.    #5
    Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    I've just learned what little I know about VDIs from sitting next to our server guy, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong here. And I certainly know nothing about Azure.
    That said, from what I understand, everyone using the VDI is sharing the same memory, so it depends on if this is a dedicated VDI, or if yo're going to have multiple people on the same server at the same time. Whatever you configure, they'll get - until you hit the physical memory on the machine. Then they start grabbing what they need from someone else, and you get into a mainframe timesharing concept, which can really slow things down.
    Yeah, thats not necessarily true. At all. It CAN be true, but not guaranteed. Especially since VM's running vGPU generally require full resource reservation, which means they ARENT using a Shared Pot. So it CAN be the case, but it isnt always.