Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rpcatv5420
    • October 15, 2019

shared parameter that tags lumber with a letter based on lentgh of lumber

i have made a shared parameter that will tag lumber but i need to add a formula to tell it that as lengths add and change a letter to the tag.
    i.e. 2X12 60" would tag as B1 and the next 2x12 25" in the schedule would tag B2 all i am missing is the formula to add the letters to the tag.

any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • elton williams
    Forum Addict
    • December 7, 2010
    • Gold Coast

If you are using types for different lengths, just tag a type parameter.

If you are using something like line based / beam / column families just use a formula such as-
    if(length< 10, A, if(and(length > 10, length < 20), B, if(and(length > 20, length <30), C, if(length>30, D))))

For reference if you havent seen it yet-
    I´ve been building a lot of parametric content in Revit, and always enjoy the power of using formulas to drive and control things. So here´s a few examples that I´ve collected over time, and also some VERY recent additions (New rounding functions in Revit 2012). The basic operators (add, subtract, multiply, ect.) have been left
    There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment

• rpcatv5420
      • October 15, 2019

Thank You, we will give that a try but i wonder being the lengths change constantly how well it will work we are a Modular building company.
      May have to tell the shop guys to just pull up there big boy pants and figure it out themselves as we don't make build by number plans LOL

Comment

• Steve_Stafford
        Mr. Revit OpEd
        • December 14, 2010

If you tag each piece with a unique value like B1 and B2 then you can just use the Mark parameter. If you tag each piece with the same value when they have the same size such as there are 20 each B1 that are 2x6x60" then that is a Type Mark.

Identifying individuals is Instance parameters and identifying them by their common size is a type parameter approach. If the size like 2x6 is type but the length is instance then all 2x6 are a "B" but length varies. Your tag could combine the Type Mark parameter with Length so you'd get B62 and B48 and B120 or 2x4x120 where 2x4 is the type mark and 120 is the cut length.

Comment

• elton williams
          Forum Addict
          • December 7, 2010
          • Gold Coast

Originally posted by rpcatv5420
          Thank You, we will give that a try but i wonder being the lengths change constantly how well it will work we are a Modular building company.
          May have to tell the shop guys to just pull up there big boy pants and figure it out themselves as we don't make build by number plans LOL
          I used to work at a modular highrise manufacturer and it quickly became obvious (to me) that construction tolerances in a factory are just as large (or larger) as they are on site.
          Low paid factory workers do not have the knowledge, care or responsibility of a fully qualified tradesman. Most drawings/cutting lists we supplied the workers with were either ignored or the module was built so far out of tolerance that precutting building materials was a waste of time and the apartment modules would just be individually stick built on the fly. Yes, that did cause many more issues with on site assembly.
          Not sure what you guys are achieving but in general, building module technology is still nowhere near as advanced as say, vehicle manufacturing (different thing altogether).
          I wouldnt be telling anyone to "suck it up" but i would be suggesting that you maybe work with the shop guys to streamline their measuring and cutting processes.
          There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment