Thread: New model from designer

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    06:01 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

New model from designer

Received a model from designer. Made it the central model on our internal server. Internal team working on local files using a new workset within model. Have just received an updated model from designer. How do we preserve work in new workset and/or sync new designer model with existing central model?

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    07:01 AM

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I would have created a new project for your team to work on. Then LINKed the designer's model to your model. Once linked, whenever there's an update, you just go to Manage > Manage Links > choose the designer's linked file > Reload. (Or, if the designer modified the name of the file, choose Reload From...)

If you're working directly in the file that the designer sent you, I'd try to copy/paste the new work into the new project as I outlined above.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time

Normally I would consider creating a separate model and linking in the designer's. However, we are tasked with increasing the LOD of the design model. This at times involves modifying/adding to elements of the designer's content. I don't think we can do this in a linked environment. copy/paste is not an option as it would be too cumbersome to detail ALL that has been developed in the new model. Transferring the workset would be ideal but that may be venturing into thinking revit is autobad.

4.    #4
    Current Local Time
    01:01 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    In that case tell the designer to stop designing or use a workshared model with BIM360 or Revit server and some good coordinating to avoid messing up each others work.

If the designers keep designing and BIM360 or Revit server is not possible I'm pretty sure that just opening the new model from the designer and doing the changes in your model too is your only option. But then you could very well just start your own model (with your own standards and template etc.) and make changes when the designer updates the design, you will be doing that work anyway, in your own model or in the first model from the designer.
    Last edited by Robin Deurloo; October 3rd, 2019 at 03:03 PM. Reason: typo

5.    #5
    Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by redjak View Post
    Normally I would consider creating a separate model and linking in the designer's. However, we are tasked with increasing the LOD of the design model. This at times involves modifying/adding to elements of the designer's content. I don't think we can do this in a linked environment. copy/paste is not an option as it would be too cumbersome to detail ALL that has been developed in the new model. Transferring the workset would be ideal but that may be venturing into thinking revit is autobad.
    Here is the grim reality: Whomever agreed to this contractual relationship and/or workflow, had no idea what they were doing or talking about.

As mentioned, without being on BIM360, or without being on Revit Server, you simply cant do what your team is assuming they can do.

There is no "Transfer Workset." Your team is basically going to eat it, and lose that work, and you are going to have to work the way others are suggesting.

6.    #6
    Current Local Time

I'll agree with the above.
    BIM 360 is really the only way multiple firms can work in the same file.
    After the fact, Copy/Paste or redo are you only options.
    I'm curious, though, how this would have been any better in AutoCAD?
    If both of your firms are working on EXACTLY the same elements. (Walls, Doors, Equipment?) wouldn't you have to blow away their lines and blocks in a DWG, too?

7.    #7
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    I'll agree with the above.
    BIM 360 is really the only way multiple firms can work in the same file.
    After the fact, Copy/Paste or redo are you only options.
    I'm curious, though, how this would have been any better in AutoCAD?
    If both of your firms are working on EXACTLY the same elements. (Walls, Doors, Equipment?) wouldn't you have to blow away their lines and blocks in a DWG, too?
    Debil's Advocate presumption: Use designer source file as a XREF core value, potentially on non-plotting layer (Or, spend some brain time up early pre-managing the XREF layers and getting VISRETAIN set up across all possible Users). Apply a bunch of suitable Dynamic Blocks over the design, then add any missing graphics.
    Maybe.
    Perhaps.

Faster--nope, not even close (possibly the tiniest bit faster than OP's kluudge).
    Less effort--no way in, well, anywhere, let alone Perdition.
    And, that presumes that Designer's file used a suitable Reference Point, and the resultant file did not need significant work just to be usable*.

*I will spare you horror stories of external files apparently drawn by inebriated syphilitic demi-primates--minor issues like the UCS was 0.1║ out of the XY plan, so dimensions were not, in fact, to scale; or of design content made with a 2" Grid snap with content with dimensional modulus smaller than ▒1"; or of circular XREF in the supplied "masterpiece." Sigh.

8.    #8
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by CapnMac View Post
    Or, spend some brain time up early... .
    If that had happened, they wouldn't be in this situation in the first place.