Thread: Copying Parameters - Mass -> Mass Floor

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    08:38 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Copying Parameters - Mass -> Mass Floor

We often do very large master-planning exercises, where huge sites are broken down into smaller sites. Said sites will have a Block #, and each Block may be broken into Phases and sub-buildings. So one block could have 2 phases and 1 building in Phase 1 and 2 buildings in Phase 2.

To complicate things further, each floor on a given block may have different uses... so a lower level may be office/retail with a tower above.

Our solution to this is to create shared parameters for Block, Phase, Building ID, and program. This can then be scheduled and linked into Excel spreadsheets.

That's all fine and well, but what I really want to be able to do is automatically populate the "Mass Floor" Block/Phase/ID fields with those of the parent Mass.

What would be the best way to accomplish this with a dynamo script? I've got a "Mass Floor" schedule and a "Mass" schedule. The "Mass Floor" schedule contains the "Mass:Family Name" parameter so I feel like it's possible to create an IF/THEN argument where "IF" the Mass:Family Name is the same, THEN copy the Block/Phase/ID parameters. But I'm new to Dynamo so I don't really know where to start :/

Any help would be much appreciated!

EDIT: I do have the ability to copy parameters between fields in the same family, but it's the "copy if these two values match" thing that is tripping me up
    Last edited by guitarchitect; September 27th, 2019 at 07:51 PM.

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    10:38 PM

Quote Originally Posted by guitarchitect View Post
    We often do very large master-planning exercises, where huge sites are broken down into smaller sites. Said sites will have a Block #, and each Block may be broken into Phases and sub-buildings. So one block could have 2 phases and 1 building in Phase 1 and 2 buildings in Phase 2.

To complicate things further, each floor on a given block may have different uses... so a lower level may be office/retail with a tower above.

Our solution to this is to create shared parameters for Block, Phase, Building ID, and program. This can then be scheduled and linked into Excel spreadsheets.

That's all fine and well, but what I really want to be able to do is automatically populate the "Mass Floor" Block/Phase/ID fields with those of the parent Mass.

What would be the best way to accomplish this with a dynamo script? I've got a "Mass Floor" schedule and a "Mass" schedule. The "Mass Floor" schedule contains the "Mass:Family Name" parameter so I feel like it's possible to create an IF/THEN argument where "IF" the Mass:Family Name is the same, THEN copy the Block/Phase/ID parameters. But I'm new to Dynamo so I don't really know where to start :/

Any help would be much appreciated!

EDIT: I do have the ability to copy parameters between fields in the same family, but it's the "copy if these two values match" thing that is tripping me up

You want to filter the values for each condition - whatever the common parameter value is between parent & child (set it once) - then you will have the correct elements to read from and write to for any other parameters (update every time script is run)

FilterByBoolMask is a common node but there are other ways too.

Can you show us where you're at currently with your dynamo script?

P.S. you can quite often just use cell referencing between excel sheets which may cut down on a lot of the dynamo stuff. I do a lot of development summary spreadsheets using data from revit areas exported to multiple excel sheets, which are then referenced and consolidated into a master sheet as the final product.
    Last edited by elton williams; September 30th, 2019 at 12:57 AM.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time
    02:38 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Turns out the almighty Clockwork has the MassFloor.Mass Node.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MassFloors.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	37548

4.    #4
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by elton williams View Post
    You want to filter the values for each condition - whatever the common parameter value is between parent & child (set it once) - then you will have the correct elements to read from and write to for any other parameters (update every time script is run)

FilterByBoolMask is a common node but there are other ways too.

Can you show us where you're at currently with your dynamo script?

P.S. you can quite often just use cell referencing between excel sheets which may cut down on a lot of the dynamo stuff. I do a lot of development summary spreadsheets using data from revit areas exported to multiple excel sheets, which are then referenced and consolidated into a master sheet as the final product.
    yeah, over the weekend I started to think that maybe Excel is the best place to make the changes and sync things. Problem is, it's harder to have a common workflow that has elements of "do this here, but don't do that here, do that there". If everything comes out of revit and is linked into excel, it's an easier workflow to teach + share. I'm always worried about the potential for mistakes when some of the data gets put into Revit, and some of it is in excel. People forget.

I wish I knew one of the macro languages because this would probably be simpler/easier than a Dynamo script (in terms of integration into the UI). Each mass has three parameters that I want to copy, and if it's three separate dynamo scripts that would have to run I'm definitely into "is this the right solution" territory.

Attached is the current dynamo file that I'm working from - a modified version of one that I found on the web. Like I say, I'm new to the world of Dynamo!

CopyBetweenParams_WIP.dyn

5.    #5
    Current Local Time
    10:38 PM

Bjorn has shown a good way to get the parent mass of a mass floor, now you just need to read the info from the mass parameter and write it to the mass floor parameter -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	8 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	37554

Clockwork is an awesome package.

6.    #6
    Current Local Time

the piece I'm missing is, how do I only run the copy/paste IF it matches another parameter?
    essentially I have, say, 10 masses (blocks), and i want to write the parameter for Block 1 to block 1's floors, Block 2 to Block 2's, etc.
    in the end I think it might just be easier to leave the info to the mass floors alone and do the summing in excel!

7.    #7
    Current Local Time
    02:38 PM

Have you tried the example? Because this:

I have, say, 10 masses (blocks), and i want to write the parameter for Block 1 to block 1's floors, Block 2 to Block 2's, etc.
    is exactly what the example is doing.

in the end I think it might just be easier to leave the info to the mass floors alone and do the summing in excel!
    I have no idea how you would arrive at this conclusion if you had tried to make some scripts with some test runs and Revit schedules.

Must be one of those "to each his own" things.

8.    #8
    Current Local Time

nope I haven't tried it yet... but i'll try it soon!

my "might be easier" comment is just about overall workflow - when it comes to minimizing potential for errors when rolling out a workflow for a number of people of different skill levels, i always start to worry about relying on plugins/scripts/etc. but, i'll have to try it out and see how people like it!