Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 2500 USD, Received: 2174 USD (87%)

Thread: Multiple Linked Files - Project North Issue

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    04:05 PM

Multiple Linked Files - Project North Issue

Hi all,
    We have a number of projects in an area and we want to create a file with the different projects linked in.

I have opened a new file and set the project base point to the same coordinates in each file. So far some have come in perfectly but I run into a problem with a file that has its project base point set an an angle to true north. The project base point comes in at the right location but it is rotated.

Have I approached this in the right way? Can anyone explain to me how to link in file that is set at an angle to true north?

Thanks

2.    #2
    Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    08:05 AM
    If all of your projects are using the same Shared (Survey) Coordinate System source then they should be linked using positioning option: By Shared Coordinates. How much do you know about how all the models were configured?

3.    #3
    Current Local Time
    04:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    If all of your projects are using the same Shared (Survey) Coordinate System source then they should be linked using positioning option: By Shared Coordinates. How much do you know about how all the models were configured?
    Hi, thank you for the reply. Unfortunately they did not all use the same shared coordinates system at the outset. I believe they are all set to real world coordinates but not using a shared coordinate system.

4.    #4
    Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RevitUser83
    ...I believe they are all set to real world coordinates but not using a shared coordinate system...
    You can create a single site model and link all the buildings to that. You can move them all into the correct locations relative to each other, assuming you have survey data that allows you to do that accurately. Use Acquire Coordinates on the most reliable survey you have (assuming you have at least one). That will match the survey coordinates of the Revit site model to the survey's World Coordinate System.

Once all the buildings are located correctly (after Acquire Coordinates has been used on the survey source) you can use Publish Coordinates to pass along the site positioning information to each building model. Once that's done each model can be linked into another using By Shared Coordinates.

That all assumes you own all of the models and can write this (save) this info to them.