• Show
Clear All
  • DaveP
    Super Moderator
    • January 10, 2011
    • St Paul, MN

Transfer Project Standards

We have a Revit Template file and a Detail Library
    Over the years, many changes have been made to both.
    Now I'm trying to consolidate the differences between the two.
    Most of the Standards changes have been made to the Template, so I used Transfer Project Standards to push Text Type, Materials, Fill Patterns, etc from the Template to the Detail Library file.

What I'm confused about is that, when I then copy one of the details from the Library into the Template, I get a "The following Types already exist but are different" warning. But most of the things in the warning list are Standards that I just used TPS on.

So why am I getting the message if I just used TPS to get those standards copied? And, yes, I did use "Overwrite"

A similar thing happens with a few of the Detail Components. I select one in the Template, used Edit Family, and then Load into Project to get it into the Detail Library.
    But I still get the "already exist but are different" on some of those, too.
    Dave Plumb
    BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.
  • Steve_Stafford
    Mr. Revit OpEd
    • December 14, 2010

Are you positive they aren't ever so slightly different? For example, the lineweight for a category might set to 4 and the project is 5. That's a difference so the message will pop. Also since the Insert from File process is using Windows Clipboard Cut/Copy/Paste I'm not convinced it isn't just regarding it all to be new and strange even if they are the same.

Also watch out for duplicating family names and types like Break Line and Break Line1, Break Line2 ... infinite repeat... I've run into projects with Break Line 20+, all in use ...sigh. Insert from File is to blame as well as copy/paste actions. Worksets and multiple users loading the same content is the other culprit.

Comment

• DaveP
      Super Moderator
      • January 10, 2011
      • St Paul, MN

Originally posted by Steve_Stafford
      I'm not convinced it isn't just regarding it all to be new and strange even if they are the same.
      I fear that's the problem.
      I can see some duplicate families sneaking in there ( even thought I've tried to eliminate those duplicates, too), but some of the "different" Types are things like Materials, which I just transferred from A to B and now it's complaining when I go from B to A.

And one of the Detail Components I Edited from A and loaded into B. Then when I paste from A into B, it says they are different.

I have a feeling this is a hopeless effort.
      Dave Plumb

Comment

• Twiceroadsfool
        Administrator
        • December 7, 2010
        • Dallas, TX

Its not hopeless. Just takes a LOT of meticulousness, in the effort. And it can take many passes, until things are correct.
        Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
        @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

• DaveP
          Super Moderator
          • January 10, 2011
          • St Paul, MN

OK, I've gone through the painful process of eliminating every duplicate and ...1 I can find.
          But no matter what I do, I still keep getting Materials that "exist but are different" from one file to the other.
          I use TPS to get the Materials from A to B, then I immediately Copy/Paste a detail from B to A & get the warning on 5 or 6 Materials.
          Dave Plumb

Comment

• Twiceroadsfool
            Administrator
            • December 7, 2010
            • Dallas, TX

If you are just bringing in details, delete those 6 materials from the details file. They shouldnt be needed at all.
            Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation

Comment

• DaveP
              Super Moderator
              • January 10, 2011
              • St Paul, MN

I was trying not to get too deep into the weeds.
              We've got a file with all of our Wall and Partition Types in it, and a Detail Group for each.
              We copy the Group & Paste it into a real project, which gets us both the Wall Type and the annotated Detail.
              Dave Plumb

Comment

• Twiceroadsfool
                Administrator
                • December 7, 2010
                • Dallas, TX

Are the Materials Custom Parameter Lists the same, in both projects? Meaning: Does the Container File have any custom parameters in it, that youve added in to Materials, in your template? If not, that makes them different.

Also assuming you meant Model Group, since a Detail Group cant carry a wall type. But thats irrelevant.

Comment

• Exar Kun
                  • August 2, 2011

Not wanting to force people down the way of paid plug-ins but Guardian or Ideate Style Manager are a HUGE help in doing this stuff. Still not flawless, however. They'll pick up most of the materials, line patterns, filled regions etc. But I still end up with duplicate families which is annoying.
                  Michael
                  Canberra, Australia

Comment