Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 2500 USD, Received: 2174 USD (87%)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sketchup to Revit Family Models

Current Local Time
    06:58 AM

Sketchup to Revit Family Models

Hi Everyone,
    I am doing some things in sketch up and want to try to import some models into Revit.
    I just wanted to know what the best method is to do this since I've looked up several videos and some say imports turns into mesh.
    and Some methods work converting to cad but I do have some materials already.

Thanks for this forum its helped me in so many ways and questions.

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    09:58 AM
    You wont like this answer, but the best way to do it is not to do it at all. SKP inside Revit RFA performs like absolute trash, and causes all sorts of problems.

Current Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    You wont like this answer, but the best way to do it is not to do it at all. SKP inside Revit RFA performs like absolute trash, and causes all sorts of problems.
    Well Id rather get some opinions lol Thank you. Im working on a few houses and I wasn't sure if its going to be a big mess later on that's Why I wanted some opinions before tackling it lol. But I'll see how they turn out still. Thank you . Hopefully it wont be a big mess. Im practicing still in it. and I wasn't sure with file constraints if it does really work out or not with masses.

The Moderator with No Imagination MPwuzhere's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    07:58 AM
    Sketchup imports in Revit look terrible. Yes, I have done it, it took a lot of time to make it look good for paper.

If you create something in Sketchup, keep it in Sketchup.

Current Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by MPwuzhere View Post
    Sketchup imports in Revit look terrible. Yes, I have done it, it took a lot of time to make it look good for paper.

If you create something in Sketchup, keep it in Sketchup.
    Thank you .
    I have created a lot of spaces in sketchup from my degree some partial things and some whole buildings with masses I was creating for my portfolio. I'm trying to prep myself for a architect firm eventually and just want to be prepared lol. I had a few houses & commercial spaces I've done in sketchup and revit , so just wanted advice of others what works well incase a architect wants me to do something with it. Thank you for the help and advice lol. I appreciate it .

Current Local Time
    Only advice I can give is be honest with your skill. If you lack Revit skill, don't put sketchup model into Revit and assume you have the Revit skill. It is better to learn Revit, build the model properly, learn construction sequencing and built family properly. I know a lot of students want to cheat their way by fluffing their portfolio with Revit. It won't work because when you put into real project, you will struggle.

Current Local Time
    12:58 AM
    I read the OPs intent to be familiar with file interchange. Import. Export. All that. Important stuff. Stuff that is taught in education. Stuff that is grappled with by practitioners wanting thier own results. Stuff that as we know exposes this age of software technology as a dog eats dog scenario rather than dog plays with dog. Head in the clouds maybe, but just imagine for one second if all these software companies got along compatability wise...the possibilities.....the workflows....the smiles....... Ok, mindfulness class over.... back to reality.

Current Local Time
    10:58 AM
    You can use Dynamo to convert the geometry to Revit free-form objects. Note you may not be able to assign materials or parameters as well as you would with native Revit geometry.

Look here: SketchUp to Revit with Dynamo ? Kyle C Martin

Current Local Time

Current Local Time
    12:58 AM
    Interesting article scott. Thanks.