Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waving Flag family

Current Local Time
    12:10 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Waving Flag family

Ok, I may be over-thinking this.

I can cobble up some dimensional parameters which ought to give me discrete x/y/z points which ought to be able to be used to define Reference Points through which a Spline Through points could be established. Repeat that for the desired height of the flag, and Create form between the two splines.

I know I can get the reference geometry to flex as needed, to allow the User to enter a given size of flag--like 5x3, 6x4, 1x1, whatever.

So, the next logical step would be to lock RP to that geometry, yes?

Or, and I over-thinking this?

Does not help I'm distracting myself with thoughts that I (might) need an AP at top and bottom, to align to non-vertical hoisting (like a facade-mounted flagpole).

This is as much thought exercise as actual need. I've experiments using to 3d Splines to generate a surface, and it looks entirely adequate. The thought that I can build it better nags at me, though.
    And, since this is low priority, it keeps being pushed back to the back burner. Which means I keep going over the process every time I comeback to it.
    Such, though, is life.

Forum Co-Founder Alfredo Medina's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    01:10 PM

What is the question, exactly?

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    What is the question, exactly?
    Mostly a double check of my putative logic here.

And, potential suggestions on order of assembly.

I think I'm pretty comfortable with the geometry for creating the spline from just a User input H & W.

So, I ought to be able to create RP to align to the geometry. And I know Spline Through POints can be locked to RP.

So, unless that methodology is flawed somehow (possible, I'm still n AC rookie), the question is about the Adaptive points. Whether to put them in the base family, and if so, at the beginning or the end. Or to nest the spline family in a second AC and link to a top & bottom AP.

Mid I had one of those "in the shower" thoughts about using the angle between AP1 (top) and AP2 (bottom) to adjust the "droop" of the flag geometry (so that, at 0║ (horizontal), the "droop angle" would also be 0║, and then increase to some maximum value as the angle increases to 90║ (vertical). But, that's for Version 2, I'm thinking.

This is still conceptional, as I have learned (the hard way) to not just start slapping geometry on Generic templates and bulling ahead.

(BTW, your Revolve rotation rig is the cat's meow; I built a nice 2-axis revolve gizom with that, finally.)

Current Local Time

It would help to see an image. From what I understand from your message, you need to know how to use Reference Planes "to lock/link the geometry". Reference planes are not necessary (or as necessary) in the adaptive template as they are in generic templates. You can create this flag without using reference planes. In generic templates we talk about a "skeleton" of reference planes and reference lines. In the adaptive templates you can think of a "skeleton of points"; and with those points you can control all the geometry. These points can be simple reference points, not necessarily adaptive. Only when the geometry varies and it needs to be defined by clicks, then you use adaptive points. I hope this helps.

Current Local Time

No, that's incredibly helpful.
    This is still early enough that I don't even have a good sketch ginned up to help describe this.
    If/when I can get that sorted it will likely help the visualization.
    "skeleton of Points" maybe the mental break-through I was needing.

Current Local Time

Speaking of flags,...

I just made this little model, with a flag, (the Colombian flag), some walls, some decals, and two names in model text. First I wanted to show you an example of a flag in Revit, but then my exercise turned into a tribute to this year's Tour de France that finished today, and to Egan Bernal, the 22-year-old Colombian rider who won the tour, and to French rider Julian Alaphilippe who was 5th overall. This was Julian's tour during many stages, until he lost time to Egan in the mountains in the 19th stage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-07-28_22-39-30.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	37095
    Last edited by Alfredo Medina; July 29th, 2019 at 11:32 AM.

Current Local Time
    07:10 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    Speaking of flags,...

I just made this little model, with a flag, (the Colombian flag), two walls, two decals, and two names in model text. First I wanted to show you an example of a flag in Revit, but then my exercise turned into a tribute to this year's Tour de France that finished today, and to Egan Bernal, the 22-year-old Colombian rider who won the tour, and to French rider Julian Alaphilippe who was 5th overall. This was Julian's tour during many stages, until he lost time to Egan in the mountains in the 19th stage.

Name:	2019-07-28_22-39-30.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	37095
    We're all very proud of them!!

Current Local Time

Ok, finally stopped fighting forest fires with a single sandal to get back to this.
    Here's a graphic of my scheme

Name:	Flag Model.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	37223
    So, I'm thinking I just need to get one set of spline points to follow formula, then set RP at a defined Z to those. Which ought to define the surface to be decaled to suit.

Question: Establish the Adaptive Points for the top * bottom alignment first in the model, then link the geometry? Or, build the geometry firs, and attached the AP to that? Or, nest the working geometry in the "aligning" adaptive family?

Idea here is to be able to show a flag aligned to where its hoisting rope's top and bottom are--since not all flags are per se vertical.

(As an aside, my ACAD Dynamic block for this mostly works (mostly) it gets cranky if rotated in 2 different planes; my testing model is a sphere with six 45║ poles arrayed arounf it, and a central flagpole as well--getting them all the to a similar wind dierection is, ah, interesting )

Current Local Time

Adaptive points, reference planes, and "locking to RPs", none of that is necessary to model the flag. I notice that you have mentioned those things in all your messages. This can be done with some reference points and a couple of splines, only.

Current Local Time

Here is one I made a few years ago. It is by no means amazing, but should give you some ideas at least.
    Attached Files Attached Files