Thread: P-Trap Family Issues

Current Local Time
    01:50 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

P-Trap Family Issues

I'm trying to make a new p-trap family that will allow us to use a generic annotation family to get the 2D plan symbol looking correctly. In order to do this I modeling the p-trap family in it's actual orientation, so I could insert the symbol in the reference level view. I'm suspecting that Revit doesn't like orienting the fitting this way. I'm getting weird behavior when I try to use the family. I have the part type set to elbow so I can have to replace normal 90s for easy modeling. When I try to change the family of the elbow to the p-trap I get this error:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P-Trap FAmily Issues 01.PNG 
Views:	26 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	36965

If I try to place the fitting manually on the horizontal pipe and then connect the vertical pipe I get this issue:

Name:	P-Trap FAmily Issues 02.PNG 
Views:	22 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	36966

If I try to place the fitting manually on the vertical pipe and then connect the horizontal pipe I get this issue:

Name:	P-Trap FAmily Issues 03.PNG 
Views:	21 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	36967

I can place it on one of the pipes and draw a new pipe from the fitting out, but as soon as I try to connect the pipe from the p-trap to another pipe it breaks again.

Is there something I'm doing wrong here?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Current Local Time

So nothing yet. At my last job we had check boxes for 1/8" and 1/4" scale for the symbol because we were using symbolic lines in the family rather than a nested generic annotation. I would like to not do that but it's starting to look that way.

Current Local Time
    12:50 PM

The annotation into detail component method does not work with the default orientation? One thing to be aware about is that, at least in the case of my p-trap, the symbol size changes slightly depending on the pipe size. As it isn't that significant I'm willing to live with it.

Name:	p trap.PNG 
Views:	11 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	37008
    Attached Files Attached Files

Current Local Time

As far as trying to get the OOB family to work. I've tried placing the generic annotation in a detail family and placing that in the right, left and even the ref view. It does not show up. Placing an annotation directly in the families ref view only shows up when the fitting is on its side. You cannot place a generic annotation on any of the other views.

The family you posted is using model lines to represent the trap which means the symbol will change sizes when you change the view scale. This is what I'm trying to avoid. I could put two sets of model lines, one for 1/8" and another for 1/4" and have yes/no parameters for visibility but I'd rather not. Based on what I've been testing and the lack of response here I guess I'm going to have to use model lines. I've used that before at my last place, but I was hoping there was some way to actually get Revit to act properly.
    Last edited by CRapai; July 16th, 2019 at 01:50 PM.

Current Local Time
    12:50 PM

Ah, you didn't state/I misread that you don't want the symbol to scale with the view. in that case, you could try seeing if unchecking the "use annotative scale" option would work. For some reason it makes my linework disappear, but if you could get it to work I imagine it would be more flexible/less cumbersome than having to toggle between 1/8" and 1/4".

Current Local Time

So what I ended up doing was this:

I modeled the trap vertically, and checked the "Allow Slope Adjustment" which is why it wouldn't work with previously modeled pipe, even if they were flat. I then created the generic annotation family with the full circle, 3/4 circle, and the line that goes from that to the attached pipe. I created a parameter to control the length of the line so it connects to the pipe in 1/8" scale and 1/4" scale without causing it shoot past tight elbows. Inserted that into the Ref view of the trap and made a couple instance parameters to control the length of the symbol line based on the scale and pipe size.

It's not the ideal family. I had to get rid of the idea about the part type being an elbow. I think revit doesn't like the orientation I used. It will keep the circle sizes the same however, which is what I was originally going for.