Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: multiple versions of navisworks

Current Local Time
    10:07 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

multiple versions of navisworks

Is it necessary to have multiple versions of navisworks installed on your computer, or do you only need one (the most current?).

My office doesn't really (read practically never) use navisworks so I am fairly unfamiliar with how it works. I've always had each version of navis installed to match which versions of revit we have installed on the computers for my office. It looks like the only thing that I need is the export utility for each navis version and then I can just open the nwc file in whatever version of navis?

Current Local Time
    11:07 PM

Most current is all you need.

-TZ

Current Local Time
    04:07 AM

Highly unusual for Autodesk sake. For as long as it exists.
    Last edited by HansLammerts; July 2nd, 2019 at 06:20 PM.

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    09:07 PM

Quote Originally Posted by HansLammerts View Post
    Highly unusual for Autodesk sake. For as long as it exists.
    Perfect example, you're not answering a question...just throwing shade at Autodesk. Why do you even spend time here? Is that what you enjoy, casting shade? Don't you have more productive things to do?

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time

Actually, to properly answer your question, there are a few additional things you might want to look in to:

1. What licenses types you have
    2. How close you are to hitting your license count limits

The reason being: The older Suite Licenses, each VERSION you had opened pulls an additional license. So if you are in Revit 2019 and Navisworks 2020, you are consuming two licenses. Meaning, if you have 50 people, and 50 licenses, youll run out before everyone gets a license. For those offices, i have (sadly) seen some firms keep ALL of the platforms on the version that user currently needs, on the machines (which is a terrible way to manage, second in lousiness only to putting ALL versions of ALL platforms on every machine, which- youll find- eats up a Hard Drive stupid fast). Basically their rules are: If your project is in Revit 2018, then you use Autocad 2018 and navis 2018... if you are in 2020, you use navis 2020 and AutoCAD 2020).

The new Collections licenses are way better about it, at least, when using the Named Account licensing: if a user is signed in on the machine, it doesnt matter what they open (from the same collection). So revit 2020, Revit 2019, AutoCAD 2018, etc. It doesnt penalize.

There have occasionally been some funky things with upgrading NWF's to the newer versions, but not many, and not often. As Tannar said, we only keep the latest version of Navis on our machines (because the licensing thing isnt an issue here).

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    Perfect example, you're not answering a question...just throwing shade at Autodesk. Why do you even spend time here? Is that what you enjoy, casting shade? Don't you have more productive things to do?
    Just pointing out every software has a lifetime circle. That's all. In case of Navisworks i think we are near the end of it. Don't take it so personal. Don't bite my head of right away.
    Last edited by HansLammerts; July 2nd, 2019 at 08:48 PM.

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    09:07 PM

Quote Originally Posted by HansLammerts View Post
    Just pointing out every software has a lifetime circle. That's all. In case of Navisworks i thing we are near the end.
    No, if you were you would have written that instead. Useless...

Current Local Time

The question was already answered. So yes, anything that comes next is either useless or to debate further.

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time

Hey- I just want to make sure: can we get a moderator or an admin to clarify: Does this mean once a thread is answered, its okay to let the posts that come after the answer be a free for all about whatever we want? Asking for a friend.

Current Local Time
    10:07 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    The reason being: The older Suite Licenses, each VERSION you had opened pulls an additional license. So if you are in Revit 2019 and Navisworks 2020, you are consuming two licenses. Meaning, if you have 50 people, and 50 licenses, youll run out before everyone gets a license. For those offices, i have (sadly) seen some firms keep ALL of the platforms on the version that user currently needs, on the machines (which is a terrible way to manage, second in lousiness only to putting ALL versions of ALL platforms on every machine, which- youll find- eats up a Hard Drive stupid fast). Basically their rules are: If your project is in Revit 2018, then you use Autocad 2018 and navis 2018... if you are in 2020, you use navis 2020 and AutoCAD 2020).
    Definitely more concerned about Hard Drive space as our current machines only have 256GB SDDs on them... Since I've never really used Navisworks (as I stated, our office hardly uses Navisworks), I've just thrown all versions on there to match what we've installed for Revit as I assumed file versions functioned the same way. Licensing is not an issue since we are aligned with the per User/Computer licenses (we don't do named accounts, yet...).