Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revit 2016 Project linked in Revit 2019 Project Error-unable to continue working

Current Local Time
    08:52 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Revit 2016 Project linked in Revit 2019 Project Error-unable to continue working

Hello,
    in our office we have recently updated to using Revit 2019 after updating from Revit 2016, for one project. The reason behind updating was that a firm who is also working on the same project is using Revit 2019 and that would make coordination easier.
    The big problem that makes work impossible for us is that we still have other projects in Revit 2016 that are not to be updated to Revit 2019, projects which are linked in our Revit 2019 file. A few days after the update to Revit 2019, we could not reload these projects in Revit 2019. There is an error saying that all these projects are corrupted and that we need to open them separately to solve the errors. Opening them separately we discovered that these projects indeed had corrupted families in them, but even after reloading/repairing the corrupted families, it is still impossible to reload the files.

As an option we tried to re-link the files, as detached copies from Revit 2016 to Revit 2016 and as well updated a detached copy from Revit 2016 to Revit 2019 and then linked it in Revit 2019. Both these solutions work, but unfortunately this is not what we need, therefore not a solution. We need Backwards Compatibility.

As mentioned, this is a frustrating matter, as Revit does not properly allow 'outdated' files to be supported in newer Revit versions. I must sadly say that in this matter, Autocad is better because you can open/link any version all the way back to 'year one' if you need to.

I would like to ask if anybody has had any similar experiences, or if the problem might be just on our end, and how we could proceed to resolve this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Revit 2016 Build: 16.0.1185.0 20161004_0715(x64) Update7 for R2
    Revit 2019 Build: 19.2.0.65 20181217_1515(x64) 2019.2

Current Local Time
    10:52 AM

Either update all the files used on your current project to 2019 or stay in 2016, those are your options if you ask me.
    And whats in that 2016 file that you can not just update to a 2019 version?

Current Local Time

Thank you for your reply Robin, there is another firm working on this project who does not have access to RVT2019, therefore we have one part of the project in RVT16 and two in RVT19. (3 firms)

Updating the files to 2019 is the easiest-most obvious solution, and it works. Unfortunately, this is at the moment not possible.

Current Local Time
    10:52 AM

Well that the 'problem' with working with multiple companies in 1 project. You either all use the same version of the software or you find another party to work with. It is something that should be in your contract with all the parties involved. If it is not that you have a problem.

If the 2016 guys really don't wanna update from a none supported version to 2019 kick them off the project I would say.

One option might be that the RVT16 guys export to IFC and you use that, but chances are if they are still in 2016 they have no clue about IFC either.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Deurloo View Post
    Well that the 'problem' with working with multiple companies in 1 project. You either all use the same version of the software or you find another party to work with. It is something that should be in your contract with all the parties involved. If it is not that you have a problem.

If the 2016 guys really don't wanna update from a none supported version to 2019 kick them off the project I would say.

One option might be that the RVT16 guys export to IFC and you use that, but chances are if they are still in 2016 they have no clue about IFC either.
    Unfortunately, kicking off a firm from a project is not something that is easily done, and I agree with you as well as every other piece of common sense which says that all projects linked must be of the same version.

I consider this matter closed until further notice.

Snuffy

Current Local Time
    03:52 AM

You're wasting a WHOLE LOT of time if you have models in 2016 that yo're linking in to a 2019 project.
    EVERY TIME you open that 2019 project, it's going to temporarily upgrade the 2016 linked model.
    Then once you close Revit, tomorrow, it's going to upgrade it again.

I'm also curious why this other firm "does not have access to RVT2019"
    Autodesk is - let's says strongly encouraging - everyone to get on subscription these days, and if you are, you have the latest version.
    Unless they opted to not pay for Revit after 2016. In which case they'll soon find out no one else will work with them in Revit (i.e. at all)

Current Local Time
    01:52 AM

Yeah, I call bull on them not having access to 2019. Sounds dubious.

The Moderator with No Imagination MPwuzhere's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    01:52 AM

Quote Originally Posted by GMcDowellJr View Post
    Yeah, I call bull on them not having access to 2019. Sounds dubious.
    We were very close to cancelling our maintenance plan last year...which would have kept us at 2019 and prior. They could have done it back then and gave the middle finger to Autodesk and their rising maintenance plans. We paid up since we work with another company and needed the access to newer software.

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    03:52 AM

The other thing to keep in mind is "not having access" doesnt mean the company doesnt have access to it: it means the project team might not. All sorts of reasons why that could be: IT is holding them back for some reason, Management doesnt want to implement every year (i have several clients that do every other year), and so on.

The bottom line is, it doesnt matter.

Fix the issues with the models, so you can upgrade a Detached copy, and use that as your linked file. At least then youre only having to upgrade it once every week or so.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    You're wasting a WHOLE LOT of time if you have models in 2016 that yo're linking in to a 2019 project.
    EVERY TIME you open that 2019 project, it's going to temporarily upgrade the 2016 linked model.
    Then once you close Revit, tomorrow, it's going to upgrade it again.

I'm also curious why this other firm "does not have access to RVT2019"
    Autodesk is - let's says strongly encouraging - everyone to get on subscription these days, and if you are, you have the latest version.
    Unless they opted to not pay for Revit after 2016. In which case they'll soon find out no one else will work with them in Revit (i.e. at all)
    Hi Dave, I think the reasoning behind them not opting to update to 2019 is that they might have opted out of using revit entirely, and just completing the projects that have already been started. I would imagine by quitting revit entirely, their subscription is also cancelled. I never had anything to do with subscription, rather just with Revit user support.

As for everybody else in this thread, you are all right more or less. We will see what we can do and maybe reach an understanding with the other firm. If anybody is interested I can come with a follow up as soon as this matter is resolved!