Thread: BIM 360 Revit Links

Current Local Time
    11:54 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

BIM 360 Revit Links

Is there any way to link in (in a cloud model) a Revit file from BIM 360 that is uploaded through browser rather than having to go through Revit and initiate through Collaborate in Cloud?

We are working with a team that is not using Revit, but we are getting IFC, so we are able to get the Revit file from the IFC, but were hoping we could just quickly post it every time rather than having to open in and initiate through Collaborate in Cloud. It does not appear that you can link in an IFC from the cloud unfortunately.

Thanks for any input.

Current Local Time
    12:54 AM

Yes, but you need to install the desktop connector on each users machine. Then when you go to load the link you browse NOT thru the bim 360 icon on the left of the open dialog box, but browse to your pc then you will see a BIM 360 drive icon, browse thru that to your project, then folder, then you will see the file.

Current Local Time

Asking for people to opine on my firm's situation between A/E depts using BIM 360 Design for Multi-office collaboration. The 1st part is; MEP is wanting to see/have a live model (from other offices that they are working on) that they can see progress daily to "adapt" sooner than later & or address changes. I feel we are spending money on 360 Design that we can avoid/redirect unless the same depts are interacting from different locations. What y'all think?
    Then the 2nd part (since it's been over 2yrs when it was called C4R that I've used the feature); what if MEP in different locations are collaborating work. How simple is it to do weekly imports from the Arch models or vice-versa. That process was a headache when in C4R. How if any has that changed? Does/will the "Desktop Connector" address that issue well for other Revit models to link in updates periodically?
    I understand that having all the disciplines in 360 Design is optimal, but if the Partners are asking to stretch that dollar because 200-300 seats of 360 Design is a pretty penny. Then the alternative of only between the same disciplines doing multi-office collaboration in the same model.
    Last edited by cftrevizo; April 12th, 2019 at 04:08 PM.

Current Local Time
    01:54 AM

I just got off the phone with an Autodesk rep yesterday trying to figure out if we needed BIM 360 Design ourselves as we don't really use worksharing, but we do often work with projects that link in 3rd party disciplines. The answer I got was that the "collaboration" benefit of BIM 360 Design means that it also gives you the ability to work with external links, like other revit projects, drawings, etc. more naturally so we'll probably want to go that route. It sounds like the desktop connector is still a bit of a headache to use and I was steered away from that.

Current Local Time
    12:54 AM

You can't steer away from the desktop connector if you want to link revit models that are not using design collaboration(c4r, Bim 360 design) on the cloud. I wish you could, they just released a "forced upgrade" to it. which means all users are screwed until we get IT to install the update. Totally bad form.

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time

Well, you can... It just means someone whos ON the BIM360 project has to manually get the file, and manually detach it and upload it, on to BIM360 Design.

Desktop Connector isnt installed here, nor will it be, lol.