Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coarse,Medium and Fine

Current Local Time
    10:49 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Coarse,Medium and Fine

May I ask-do you all work in any particular detail level.
    While trying to understand why the REF label (Refrigerator) transfers through to my upper floor, this question has come to mind.
    I have always used Fine in everything, even converting to PDFs and printing/plotting.
    Wondering is anyone has any thoughts on this-maybe dimensioning, printing etc could/would be better/easier?
    Thanks!
    Gary

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    05:49 AM

I rarely worry about them.

For my libraries, this is how its set up:

Medium is everything you NEED in your documents.
    Fine is "extra glitter" that doesnt add production value, but might make things look nicer.
    Coarse is actually missing some small items that you might care about (louvers are missing blades, some items are missing handles, etc).

But i dont do redundant geometry at all. So the OOTB Steel columns that have a squared off version AND a filleted version at med and fine, arent like that here. The Fine versin is both Med and Fine.

Current Local Time
    10:49 AM

I do mostly residential.
    Wonder if anyone who does mostly residential uses maybe coarse to make it easier for the framer to read?
    Never could control why the REF label transfers to all floors!?

Current Local Time

You are conflating two different issues.

Coarse/Medium/Fine has nothing to do with that annotation, EXCEPT thats how someone built that lousy refrigerator family. It shows up on all levels because your view range on those levels still hits the level that has the fridge on it.

Other options include:

1. Dont use a GA in the refrigerator
    2. Adjust your view ranges so they arent seeing the first floor with the fridge
    3. Use a Filter on the Appliances (after altering how the appliances are made)

Using LOD to accomplish this task may seem like an easy answer, right up until you get a piece of content that shows the GA at every LOD.

Current Local Time
    03:49 AM

It depends on your drawing scale. For scale 1:100 or 1/8" I would set it as course. If you set to medium or fine, the wall object looks like a giant heap of mess due to multiple line drawn so close to each other.

1:50 or 1/4" - set it as course or medium depending on the drawing you are producing

1:25 or 1/2" - set it as medium or fine depending on the drawing you are producing

My old school mentor always tell me - less information you have, the less lawsuit you will get.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by scourdx View Post
    My old school mentor always tell me - less information you have, the less lawsuit you will get.
    Thatĺs... ridiculous. Betting your mentor wasnĺt a lawyer, right?

Current Local Time

There is a merit in his point of view. He came from old school where any line represent on paper means contractor will try to extract as much value when Architect draw something that isn't suppose to be there. I've work on a job where contractor did that. It wasn't fun.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by scourdx View Post
    There is a merit in his point of view. He came from old school where any line represent on paper means contractor will try to extract as much value when Architect draw something that isn't suppose to be there. I've work on a job where contractor did that. It wasn't fun.
    We disagree. I don't ever show walls at Coarse LOD. Who says that information "isn't supposed go be there?" That's an opinion, not a fact.

Information that's WRONG shouldn't be shown, but if it's correct at 1:96 and 1:48 and 1:24, it's not going to get someone sued.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Current Local Time

Different region has different ways of producing their drawings. It isn't going to be one solution fits all. Maybe over at your location, you want show everything and have honest contractors that wants to work as team. Here, we have very few good contractors and a lot of bad one wants to make as much money by pointing out design team mistake. This is why Architects are protecting themselves from the predatory contractors. Of course clients want to hire cheapest contractors and get their building built fast. We are stuck with these people.

Current Local Time

But you are talking about *mistakes.* Meaning something at 1/16" or 1/8" is WRONG, when you show more information. C/M/F isnt going to solve that. If its wrong, itll be wrong at larger scale too.

No geographical considerations change that.