MONUMETRIC Video mmt-volt

Collapse

Dims, tags and levels falling off multi .rvt file project...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nikdevlin
    • September 16, 2016
    • London, UK

Dims, tags and levels falling off multi .rvt file project...

So we have a big project on the go, at construction phase, and we have a weird problem that’s been bugging us since early days.

Using Revit 2017.2

We have a container file, where all the drawings are, and we have substructure (concrete and steel), superstructure (concrete), structural frames (steel) and roof (concrete and steel) models all reffed into it. All the dimming, tags and levels are done in the sheets in the container file. And almost every time we either sync, reload models or open up the container file first thing in the morning, some dims, tags and levels disappear. The error messages we get are standard – ‘One or more dimension references are or have become invalid’ or ‘Spot Dimension does not lie on its reference’ or ‘One or more Spot Dimension references are no longer valid’, but when we follow the id number, it’s something that hasn’t necessarily been changed in the structural models.

I am by no means a Revit expert, but the ones we have in our company are flummoxed too.

Any ideas?
  • Exar Kun
    • August 2, 2011

Have you run through Steve Stafford's post on this?

Revit OpEd: Tags Dimensions and Linked Files
    Michael
    Canberra, Australia

Comment

• GMcDowellJr
      Forum Addict
      • December 21, 2010
      • Phoenix, AZ

You’re not gonna wanna heat this but that’s a poor workflow precisely for this issue.

Dimensioning to a linked file (spot elevations are a form of dimensions) have a tendency to disappear. Tagging isn’t much better.

Dimensions and tags belong in the file where the elements being dimensioned and tagged reside.

You can use “by linked view” if you must see them in the combined model but that’s not a great workflow either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Greg McDowell Jr
      about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

• Twiceroadsfool
        Administrator
        • December 7, 2010
        • Dallas, TX

You have four models too many. Shove it all in one file (drawings included) and all those issues will go away. And you'll be amazed how much faster it will behave, too.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
        Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
        @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

• Karalon10
          Forum Addict
          • December 16, 2010

You could copy/monitor everything into your container model, at this late stage its probably the "easiest" solution.
          That will let you tag and keep your tags in place and you will just have to come up with a workflow for accepting the revised model changes using the collaboration tools.

Comment

• nikdevlin
            • September 16, 2016
            • London, UK

Thanks folks, I feared something like this. Sadly, I came onto the project when it'd been up and running for over a year, and the damage had already been done. We even looked into re-merging it all into one, but we got thousands of error messages, and calculated that it would take a good 6 weeks just to bring it up to speed, and then another few weeks to add that 6 weeks interim work, and so on and so forth.

*sigh*

Comment

• GMcDowellJr
              Forum Addict
              • December 21, 2010
              • Phoenix, AZ

And how much are you losing when random dimensions and tags go missing?

I doubt you’ll need 6 weeks and most of those error messages are likely issues you can deal with as it’s importing (joins, etc.)

Perhaps “simply” inserting each model as a Model Group into the document model would be a start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Greg McDowell Jr
              about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

• nikdevlin
                • September 16, 2016
                • London, UK

I've just now reloaded the steel model and lost 16 dims in an area I wasn't working in.

It is a huge project, and just one of the models caused 1694 constraints to be not satisfied, 1480 elements to be unjoined, 1477 column tops below bases and 1476 cuts lost from hosts when we did a test merge. And there are four more models, all equally complex.

Comment

• Twiceroadsfool
                  Administrator
                  • December 7, 2010
                  • Dallas, TX

Of course you lost dims. We have explained what the problem is, but unfortunately it isnt going to go away. If the project is really *in construction* already, i wouldnt try to fix it (i dont think), as the drawings should already be out and permitted, and all that good stuff. But also (of course) a test merge is going to wreck some stuff. And then the stuff has to get fixed manually. Thats what it would take, to fix the project. There isnt a way to Merge it and have everything "automatically fix itself," or we would all be like *here, do this, and itll fix it,* lol.

But the problem isnt going anywhere. Unfortunately, if you have "Revit Experts" in your office, and this is how they chose to have this project set up..... Then they arent Revit Experts, and they need to learn a few things.

Its going to be a sucky time, working on that job.
                  Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                  @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

• nikdevlin
                    • September 16, 2016
                    • London, UK

Yeah, tell me about it. I was loaned out to another team for a few days last week, a nicely set up project, a single file, very well organised, and it was like a breath of fresh air.

Comment