Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 2500 USD, Received: 2249 USD (90%)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Autodesk Software Review

Current Local Time
    12:35 AM

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Autodesk Software Review

So we received an email telling us that
    As part of Autodesk's on-going Software Asset Management Program, your company has been selected to undergo a required software compliance audit.
    The email totally looks like a fishing scam. However when we looked into it, it does appear to be legitimate. So now we have to take company time to perform an audit for Autodesk to prove that we're using their software correctly. What a total pain. Thankfully we're just a little 3 person team.

To top things off the website they direct you to, to do the reporting is terrible. Its very confusing trying to figure out where to download the software your supposed to run to scan your system.

And I start reading the quick start guide and one of the first instructions is to "Click the Continue Trial button" to install the software. Really Autodesk? Trial software? You can't pay for or build your own software?

Just doesn't seem right to me. Thanks for letting me rant.

The Moderator with No Imagination MPwuzhere's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    09:35 PM

Looks like a lot of people think it is a phishing e-mail, but it is real.
    https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/insta...t/td-p/6868437

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    11:35 PM

LOL, i'm fine with taking (some) time to demonstrate that im in compliance, but god help them if i ever get an email asking me to install their own scanning **** on my computers.

Isn't ever happening, and isn't even up for discussion.

Current Local Time
    06:35 AM

Yeah got one of those a few years ago when I was still working for my boss.
    The one managing the info@ email box almost deleted it, because it looked fake indeed, but I instructed her well enough to at least check with me when it says anything Autodesk.
    Talked to my reseller about that back then and he advised me to get the data and send it to Autodesk or it could be that at some point they would be at your office checking things themselves. I could gather info manually back then without installing any software, but I did have the option to install the software.
    But as Aaron says, NOPE !

Current Local Time
    12:35 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    LOL, i'm fine with taking (some) time to demonstrate that im in compliance, but god help them if i ever get an email asking me to install their own scanning **** on my computers.

Isn't ever happening, and isn't even up for discussion.
    That's exactly what it is. And its some sketchy third party scanner that is mega confusing its so poorly designed. I'd be fine with some little app from Autodesk to just check to make sure everything is all good and it phones home to the mother ship. I actually though the licence manager was already doing that in the background.

Current Local Time
    05:35 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Deurloo View Post
    . . . and he advised me to get the data and send it to Autodesk or it could be that at some point they would be at your office checking things themselves . . .
    I thought normally people need a warrant issued by a magistrate / judge to do stuff like that in rule-of-law countries ???

Current Local Time
    06:35 AM

There have been raids of offices in Holland and other countries. I'm guessing they go a judge and bring the police if there is suspicion of illegal software use.

Current Local Time

So i had this same email in my inbox today.

I went through their website instructions (filling out company information), until i got to the part where it told me to install software on all of my machines. I skipped that section, then got to the comments/messages section, and sent them this:

To whom it concerns-

I am the Director of Parallax Team, and we are a BIM Consultancy that primarily focuses on Autodesk Software. We are 2 full time employees (on a shared network) and one part time staffer (not on the network). Our current licenses are as follows:

(2)- AECC Single User Licenses (we sign in with BIM360 accounts)
    (2)- BDSU NLM Licenses (on FlexLM server on our network)
    (1)- Revit only Single User License (part time employee signs in with BIM 360 account).

I am happy to help you complete your audit as necessary, but we will NOT be installing any "auditing or reporting software" anywhere in our company infrastructure, for this audit. Im happy to provide you with any other information you need, including getting on a Zoom meeting to let you look at the NLM or our Autodesk Accounts entitlements pages. But nothing is getting installed here, as part of the audit, and that decision is final.

Thank you for understanding!
    I guess we will see how big of a deal it is. :shrug:

The Moderator with No Imagination MPwuzhere's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    09:35 PM

Going after folks with actual licenses....not going for those getting away with Student Licenses. Wish they would bring back the border or watermark for those.

Current Local Time

Well, to be fair, they arent "going after us," its just a license audit. And they did reach out on twitter, and say they would have the person handling the account reach out directly. So... we will see. Zero chance of that application getting installed anywhere, though.