Thread: Casework shop drawings

Current Local Time
    12:25 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Casework shop drawings

Hello everyone,

i'm new here and in Revit, i'm playing around with Revit to create millworks shop drawings (mainly for kitchens and vanities), i've been working for a decade with autocad and to switch onto the Revit system is quite challenging (I attempted a basic Revit course few months ago and will have a more advanced one mid september)

I built all my custom cabinets families, loaded them on a new file and layout a typical sheet, no problem with that even if I'm sure there room for improvement, what I'm stuck with now is the labelling/noting part on the sheet.

I attached two files here, one is the autocad made shop drawings and the other is the one i made with Revit, ideally i'd like to revit shop drawings to have the same about of information and notes (front finishes, appliances models, etc etc), i could just copy the notes and text but i feel is not the smartest way to do it, i'm sure there is a better way to have the same result but i'm too noob to know how to proceed.

I know from doing some reasearch that I can't just add text to the single families, i tried with the nested annotation family but i can make it work, anyone has any hint for me? what would be the best approach here? thanks appreciate your help

David
    Attached Files Attached Files

Current Local Time
    02:25 PM

What you want is to use tags for those text items. You can load various tags that read family type information, or instance information. You can do a tag with a label that reads both type and instance information if you want. So for example your range could have instance mark as AP-3, Type Description as Bosch 30" Wall Oven and then Model Number HBL5451UC. Create a tag with labels that read all those parameters, and they'll fill in automatically, and the same for each time you have that oven, or cabinet or whatever other elements you have.

Current Local Time
    01:25 PM

It's a little bit of everything.
    Equipment tag - AP-3 = type mark, Bosch 30" Wall Oven = description, HBL5451UC = Model #.
    Then it looks like you have some material tags - matte white lacquered Gable - cab1.
    Then some keynotes - countertop by others, aluminum gola profile handle.
    You could also use text.

Current Local Time
    02:25 PM

I saw a pretty good webcast from our Revit reseller about tags, specifically material and multi-category tags that you could probably use. I wish I had a link to the webcast but I can't find it right now.

Current Local Time
    03:25 PM

As Patrick & Chris mentioned - it will most likely be a combination of tag types (Material, Type Mark, Mark, Description, Type Comments, etc.) The exact workflow will need to be sorted on your end, but they all work as a potential option. You will probably need to make some adjustments in how you present data. The references to Cab 2/3/4 probably won't work as well in Revit unless you are manually filling that information in, but calling materials & types is super easy

Current Local Time
    12:25 PM

thanks everyone for the tips!! i worked around a little bit and attached is the result, I'm not quite sure i understading properly the differences between family/shared parameter and type/instance data yet but everything worked out in few tries... (if anyone had some resourse to share on this matter would be great) also i have to add the tags for every item and move those where i want them to be, i mean is not the best but i can live with it for now...

I have few more questions...

- is there a way to link together a call out and a interior elevation? basically what i'm doing now to layout the sheets is to use a call-out for the partial floorplan and an interior elevation for the elevation, ideally i would like to link them together in the sheet so they are always lined up (kind of orthogonal projection)

- is there a way to add all the tags in the building elevation (which I use kind as what was model space for autocad) and have them appear into the various interior elevations?

- is there a way to show a projection of a family that is above the cut plane in a floorplan view (specifically showing the uppers extent in my case)

thanks again for the help
    Attached Files Attached Files

Current Local Time
    08:25 PM

Quote Originally Posted by david_pi View Post
    I'm not quite sure i understading properly the differences between family/shared parameter and type/instance data
    That's the thing with Revit, there are a lot of "branches" to explore - and explanatory threads to read - but in a nutshell:

Parameters:
    Family = native and unique to, and useful only to the family - accessible from within a project (to make adjustments to the family when in use) but not schedulable.
    Shared = uniquely defined value that can be used in multiple families, and scheduled out of families by projects.

(where 'Family' = Humans.rfa)
    Type = Boys or Girls
    Instance = Robbie, Mark, Howard, Jason & Gary are instances of Boys - whereas Mel B, Mel C, Emma, Geri & Victoria are instances of Girls.

i would like to link them together in the sheet so they are always lined up (kind of orthogonal projection)
    There is a very-slight visual-aid for alignment behaviour when moving a view into place on a sheet when views align orthogonally, when they are the same scale - but no, OOTB, there's no other clever'er way.

- is there a way to add all the tags in the building elevation (which I use kind as what was model space for autocad) and have them appear into the various interior elevations?
    Not sure I understand, do you mean pre-populate/dump readily used materials in views to have to hand? Not really no.

If you're are creating dependant views as you step down through scales the tags are bidirectional - but with scale changes, desired annotation often does and this can (designed) behaviour/benefit can sometimes be more a nuisance than useful.

- is there a way to show a projection of a family that is above the cut plane in a floorplan view (specifically showing the uppers extent in my case)
    Yes, with a variety of methods/tricks - which one you employ will depend on which one suits you best so you are encouraged to explore them all...

• View Range settings using the <Beyond> linestyle effect
    • Plan regions
    • Transparency of components
    • Sub-categories assigned (added) to elements within your components
    • "Overhead" linework in (added to) your components
    • etc