Thread: Sidelight Glazing

Current Local Time
    12:44 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Sidelight Glazing

Just expanding my door library to include sidelights now.

How do you deal with the glazing?

In a double rabbet frame, the glazing could be on the same side of the door or it could be on the opposite side of the door - glazing on corridor side, but door swings into a room. Door panels can't be flipped independently of the frame can they?

Current Local Time
    11:44 AM

You could make it an instance based switch at the door. Donĺt think it would need to be type driven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Local Time

I nest a door and a window together. Both of them are generic models with the proper text fields for us in controlling scheduling

Current Local Time
    11:44 AM

It depends on the frame type. For AL frames, you'll typically have an extrusion that accepts centered glazing. For most HM frames (including Timely KD) the glazing and shoe are typically on the same side of the stop as the door (but could be a parameter as mentioned). I use a default of center-glazed in AL frames, and door-side on steel frames, and handle anomalies in the details.

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    01:44 PM

Quote Originally Posted by cheinaranta View Post
    Just expanding my door library to include sidelights now.

How do you deal with the glazing?

In a double rabbet frame, the glazing could be on the same side of the door or it could be on the opposite side of the door - glazing on corridor side, but door swings into a room. Door panels can't be flipped independently of the frame can they?
    It really depends on how you like to document it, firm wise.

1. If you consider it a *different frame type* i would go ahead and actually do a save as, and make different frames, even though its a TON more frames.
    2. But if its something they just consider an option per door, you can do it with vis parameters but youll have to pass them up to the Parent Door Components, which i dont love.

If its me, i do option 1. I would *consider* invoking Types in the Frame Families, if it wasnt for the godawful way they format. But F10HM has to then be F10HM : A (yes, it added four characters) instead of F10HMa, which is what i would want. None of the workarounds to get around that, are worth it to me. So... different frame families it would be.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by GMcDowellJr View Post
    You could make it an instance based switch at the door. Don’t think it would need to be type driven.
    That was my first thought, unless I would have been able to flip just the door panel in the frame. That was wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    It really depends on how you like to document it, firm wise.

1. If you consider it a *different frame type* i would go ahead and actually do a save as, and make different frames, even though its a TON more frames.
    2. But if its something they just consider an option per door, you can do it with vis parameters but youll have to pass them up to the Parent Door Components, which i dont love.

If its me, i do option 1. I would *consider* invoking Types in the Frame Families, if it wasnt for the godawful way they format. But F10HM has to then be F10HM : A (yes, it added four characters) instead of F10HMa, which is what i would want. None of the workarounds to get around that, are worth it to me. So... different frame families it would be.
    20+ years I've never even thought about it until I started building sidelights, so I'm pretty confident there are few that even think about that during CD's.

1. frame types work until someone flips the door, then you have to swap the family. Not sure I could count on others to be that aware.
    2. Seems like the best of the worst options for me . It is something you could consider for each door until families become more self aware.
    3. I hate types on doors... I only have 2, interior or exterior (because I have to) and I'd like to keep it like that.

For aluminum frames, I have a pretty good grasp of how that all works. I have capped curtain wall, ssg curtain wall, centered storefront and front mount storefront - expanding as needed but that's covering off the majority of profiles I do regularly. I haven't played with the nested-nested-nested-nested CW yet