Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revit 2018 into 3dsMax 2018 - problem with Arch & Design UI - Slate Editor tutorial

Current Local Time
    08:11 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Revit 2018 into 3dsMax 2018 - problem with Arch & Design UI - Slate Editor tutorial

I have never been able to 'get' the Slate Material Editor in 3dsMax despite going on very expensive training courses (my fault I guess ).

Yesterday, in desperation at the UI problem in 3dsMax 2018 with the Arch & Design Materials Compact Mode Editor drop-down (I discovered this on the Autodesk Knowledge Network - https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...Editor-UI.html ) I decided something needed to be done as no solution seems to be forthcoming from Autodesk or Nvidia.

Fortunately I came across this outstanding tutorial online and within a few minutes I was up and running with the Slate Material Editor

Might not work for everyone but for anyone else who 'hates' the Slate Material Editor in 3dsMax it could be the answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLNiVxAhmr0
    Last edited by willsud; March 22nd, 2018 at 05:42 PM.

Current Local Time
    12:11 PM

I frequently reuse portions of my shader trees, so the SME (Slate Material Editor) was a welcome change for me. I really do enjoy the node-based workflow, which lets me see "what is going where" in an instant. SME makes it so much easier to create complex textures by layering and adjusting for each texture channel. For example, in these 2 examples (for Arnold), the base color and specular roughness both fork off the same texmap. You can do the same thing in the CME, but I found it more awkward to find the correct texmap level to use. One issue that is annoying about the SME is that you have to really pay attention when you have shader trees that are wired into different materials, or materials wired into different Multi-Sub Object materials. It's easy to try to clear your workspace and inadvertently disconnect shader trees from their materials. I prefer to Clear View so it clears out the entire slate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SME.PNG   SME-floor.PNG  

Current Local Time

Thanks, I can see the benefits now but something about the initial understanding escaped me until yesterday.

I am also wondering if 2019 versions will even have Arch & Design Materials available in which case I will have to switch to something else that uses GPU rendering, and the Slate Editor probably makes life easier in the long run.
    Last edited by willsud; March 22nd, 2018 at 07:15 PM.

Current Local Time
    12:11 PM

I bit the bullet and switched to Arnold (which is CPU based). From what I understand nVidia has stopped all development of mental ray (standalone or otherwise) and is focusing on Iray. There are other renderers that utilize the GPU (V-Ray, maxwell, etc), but I don't believe any of them are included in the packages from Autodesk (all require additional licenses). Since Arnold is included, I started playing with that. If you like the Arch & Design material, with some reading, you should have a good understanding of how to use the main Arnold Standard Surface shader. It has quickly become my favorite shader.

Current Local Time

Thanks again,

I've had a try with iRay+ but did not like the materials - Vray may be an option but as I have a fairly new workstation with a high-powered Nvidia Geforce card installed just for GPU rendering and a Quadro card for display, I would prefer a GPU rendering engine.

Cost isn't a problem, just finding something that I can rely on and gives me a rapid workflow

Current Local Time
    09:11 PM

Quote Originally Posted by willsud View Post
    Cost isn't a problem, just finding something that I can rely on and gives me a rapid workflow
    Just one word: Lumion 8.0

Current Local Time

I will have a look at Lumion 8.0 - many thanks M

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by willsud View Post
    I will have a look at Lumion 8.0 - many thanks M
    I┤ve been using it on a daily basis for the past 3/4 years, and is still impressed by the fast learning curve.
    Grass, trees, cars, entourage etc. only takes minutes to add to a scene, lot's of premade materials, and it's easy to create new materials.
    Best thing is that you can save out your materials, and reload them for your next project.
    Actually the best thing is the rendering speed... not even speaking minutes for a standard still photo, more like 30 seconds.

See some of the work done in Lumion here: https://forum.lumion.com/gallery-best-works/

And no, they are not paying me to praise Lumion

Current Local Time

Grass and trees are a big problem in most rendering situations so anything that can handle these is attractive.

I have had a quick look at Lumion and will look in more detail later.

Many thanks for the information

Current Local Time

If you go for a trial, they only have version 7.5 for download, but if you contact them, you┤ll get access to 8.0 (8.3?)

Lumion 3D software

There┤s a HUGE difference between 7.5 and 8.0 (8.3), so it┤s worth getting the most recent version to trial.

The attached is just a quick example to show the grass and trees. Rendering time 35 and 36 seconds at 3840x2160 (GTX 1080ti)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails will.jpg   will2.jpg  
    Last edited by Munkholm; March 23rd, 2018 at 11:05 AM.