Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 2500 USD, Received: 2249 USD (90%)

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Floor finishes plan

Current Local Time
    01:03 AM

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Floor finishes plan

I need to create a plan that indicates floor finishes. What I would normally do (in AA 2011 say) is hatch each area, and assign a type of hatch to each floor type. ie carpet, vinyl etc..

What I was thinking of trying, is creating a new level, 10mm above my FFL, and calling this "floor finishes". I can then add a floor in at this new level, 10mm thick, and assign it a surface hatch.. I can then create a type of floor for each finish.

Im not sure if this will cause any problems, so if anyone has any ideas it would be great to hear.

Cheers

Andy

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    07:03 PM

We model our floor finishes as well, but we dont use another Level.

Current Local Time
    01:03 AM

So do you just lay it over the top of your main slab, and offset it to suit..?

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Alfienoakes View Post
    So do you just lay it over the top of your main slab, and offset it to suit..?
    This is how most firms do it that model the floor finishes. This allows you to see the actual thickness differences between finishes as well, which is good for coordination of finish transitions.

Another method that other is used is to use split face to create separate regions on the main floor system and then the paint tool to paint material finishes onto the floor system. This is good to show something that is more like a traditional hatching from an AutoCAD perspective but does not show thicknesses. It also suffers from a number of downfalls that the split face tool has when the floor system is changed.

Edited for Darryl's point. Thanks for the correction.
    Last edited by hypnox1; January 18th, 2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Correction by Darryl

Current Local Time
    08:03 PM

The way I learned at a firm I worked for was to create two levels one called Structural Floor Slab and the other Finished Floor This way i can control the thickness and location of the finish without having to change the cut profiles, the only issue I had when I first used it was when we changed the height of the structural slab, but then I just dimensioned to in elevation/section the SSlab to the FFloor and locked it.

Current Local Time
    12:03 AM

Quote Originally Posted by hypnox1 View Post
    This is how most firms do it that model the floor finishes. This allows you to see the actual thickness differences between finishes as well, which is good for coordination of finish transitions.

Another method that other is used is to use cut profile to create separate regions on the main floor system and then the paint tool to paint material finishes onto the floor system. This is good to show something that is more like a traditional hatching from an AutoCAD perspective but does not show thicknesses. It also suffers from a number of downfalls that the cut profile tool has when the floor system is changed.
    you mean Split Face tool, right? ...or i'm completely wrong since i don't have much experience w/ the cut profile tool

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time

You can use two levels if you want, but it means you have two more levels to deal with. That can mess up Underlay properties (see te other thread), as well as not giving you much added benefit, since a change in thickness means you have to now move the level AND the floor finish thickness. And WHICH finish are you putting it on? Ive got carpet, wood, VCT, and polished Concrete all on one floor, at slightly different thicknesses.

Go with the offset.

BTW, through a Filter to select your Floor Finishes (mine uses Floor Names since the prefix is FIN) and you can show or not show them in specific views, on a case by case basis. You can also show them ghosted, dashed, whatever. You can do it with worksets too, but its ghetto, in my humble opinion.

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time

Along the same problem, how do you do wall finishes? I was just using the split face tool and then painting it, but, as has been noted, it's a pain in the arse when the walls move.

All I need to show is the wainscot in the restroom. We do ceramic tile or FRP board (depending on the restroom location) to a height of 4' to meet code.

Current Local Time
    08:03 PM

You could create a New wall w/ the thickness that you need, apply the ceramic tile or FRP board material, give it an unconnected height of 4 ft, and align and lock it to the partition or structural wall , that way it moves if the walls move.

Current Local Time
    02:03 AM

If you join the Finish wall to the Architectural wall they will also clean up correctly (nice profile line in plan and section as you would expect) and also doors in the Architectural wall will be cut in the finish wall.
    Currently we put those finish walls on a different workset, but long term a filter is likely the better answer.

Gordon