Thread: Arc Layout Jig - Radial Array, Controlled By Arc Segment Distance

Current Local Time
    03:45 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Arc Layout Jig - Radial Array, Controlled By Arc Segment Distance

I'm trying to build a jig to layout mullions along an arc; am math stupid and subsequently lost. The two controls I'd like to have are the angle and arc segment distance, the latter taking precedence if needed.

I've looked at the formula stuff Alfredo posted a while back on it but it all seems to require the arc height, which I don't really care about. I've also looked at the brick arch that Aaron posted and I still haven't figured that one out... Also found the old post David Baldacchino made and am stumbling through that but not quite there yet.

All that said - can this all be controlled by the arc segment distance? If so - how?

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    02:45 PM

Sure, it can. The *Revit constraint* might not be able to be an arc length, depending on what youre making (post it?).

But if you have:

Radius
    Angle of Overall Arc / Length of Overall Arc
    Number of segments
    Angle of segments

All but one of them can be parametric. One has to be *informed* by the others.

Current Local Time

Looks like you want to just calculate a bunch of circle sectors (arc segment) along a larger sector (arc length). Perfectly easy to do. Are you arraying by last or by second?

Current Local Time

Hopefully the sketch helps explain it. I started a family, got lost in all the nested-nested-nested-array stuff and didn't get much more than a circle so far... Also got pulled into something else altogether Per the doodle - I'm trying to get the jig to set AS to a relatively normal number (24", 36", 48", etc) and be able control the Radius. The angles don't really matter, and I don't really care if it is a quarter-circle, half-circle, or full circle - although a full circle would probably be the most useful long-term.

One of these days I'm going to sign up for remedial math..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ArrayJig.jpg  

Current Local Time
    08:45 PM

Not exactly a rig for set out, but I've a natty CWP panel that I think might help you - I'll try to remember to fish it out tomorrow.

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    02:45 PM

Quote Originally Posted by cellophane View Post
    Hopefully the sketch helps explain it. I started a family, got lost in all the nested-nested-nested-array stuff and didn't get much more than a circle so far... Also got pulled into something else altogether Per the doodle - I'm trying to get the jig to set AS to a relatively normal number (24", 36", 48", etc) and be able control the Radius. The angles don't really matter, and I don't really care if it is a quarter-circle, half-circle, or full circle - although a full circle would probably be the most useful long-term.

One of these days I'm going to sign up for remedial math..
    Both the Brick Arch Family and the Table and Chairs do all of this, but its a matter of picking which variables youre going to input, and which you arent. You keep using phrases like "relatively normal," and "i dont care if its this or that," which makes me think you havent fully decided which things are driving and which things are driven. How the constraints are done might depend on the answers to those questions.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    Both the Brick Arch Family and the Table and Chairs do all of this, but its a matter of picking which variables you're going to input, and which you aren't. You keep using phrases like "relatively normal," and "i dont care if its this or that," which makes me think you haven't fully decided which things are driving and which things are driven. How the constraints are done might depend on the answers to those questions.
    I'll try and pull apart the arch & table some more tomorrow - I get lost in all the variables (algebra was not my forte; geometry though, aced it!)

Current goal is to layout storefront along an arc, and I'm trying to get the panel sizes (arc segments) to clean numbers. I'm not as worried if it is 36-1/4" vs 36", I'm just trying to avoid 35-21/256" numbers (stupid imperial measurements), i.e. relatively normal numbers.

I would very much prefer a full circle long-term, but there is no reason I can't just mirror one rig to make a circle.

Current Local Time

I'm apparently missing something stupidly simple because I can't get the array to work with an angle parameter, regardless of if I use a family or just reference lines... Anyone mind looking at the attached video and pointing me in the right direction?

https://www.screencast.com/t/OzJULXgFd