Thread: NEED BRILLIANCE! Dual/Triple Parametric Hell over here!

Current Local Time
    01:42 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

NEED BRILLIANCE! Dual/Triple Parametric Hell over here!

Hey friends! PLEASE HELP! I'm trying to make a pipe adjustable by length and also by angle. And it hates me!

Snip1 shows what I'm working with. I have a simple pipe (rectangle) loaded in ready to nest, but I figure I need this reference line to be fully flexible first. I can make it separately stretch for width, or if I delete that, I can stretch for angle. But not with both of the constraints there.... HERE GOES!

Snip2 shows that the angle flexes, but the width ref plane won't travel with it.

Snip3 shows that when I reset and flex the width, it travels up the center(left-right) plane until it becomes the proper 3ft dimension.

Snip 4 shows that with that odd width dimension set, I can still flex the angle again. But again, that far ref plane doesn't travel with it.

Snip5 - I figure that the width makes it travel up the center plane because it's not attached to the floor. Snip5 shows my error message when I try to align the bottom point of the ref Line to the center floor plane.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

BONUS POINTS: TRIPLE FLEX!!
    In addition to these to parametric toys, I'm also supposed to add another ANGLE to flex that's rotated 90deg so the pipe can "point" in absolutely any direction and be any length.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snip1.PNG   snip2.PNG   snip1.PNG   snip2.PNG   snip3.PNG  

snip4.PNG   snip5.PNG  
    Last edited by Aaron82; July 3rd, 2017 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Added images!

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    12:42 AM

You seem really in a hurry to get some help, so i should probably point out to you that you didnt attach the images you meant to show us.

But here is what i can tell you that you are doing wrong already:

1. ANY time it is ANGLES you are constraining, you dont use Reference PLANES, you use Reference LINES. Reference PLANES do not have endpoints, no matter how they look on your screen. Because of that, they can BE the constraint for the end of a Ref Line, but they will not reliably be the item that rotates, ever. (Except in the hardcoded family templates like Baluster Panels).

2. Without the images, i cant tell what youre trying to make. But i hope you dont mean *real Pipes.* If so, you should be using real Pipes, and not families.

3. The bonus part is simple. You just make everything at the end use the WorkPlane of the horizontal plane of the Reference LINE that you will use to replace the Reference PLANE you are trying to use now, and it will automatically move with the ref lines angle. Not hard to do.

Current Local Time
    12:42 AM

If you're trying to make a reference plane with an angle parameter follow this tutorial. Then draw your pipe using a sweep.

https://b3dstudios.wordpress.com/201...eeeeeeeeeeeee/

Current Local Time
    07:42 AM

or just place and lock dimensions from the center ref planes to the starting point of the ref line.

Current Local Time

This is a pretty fantastic tutorial. Very useful. Thank you!
    Last edited by Aaron82; July 5th, 2017 at 03:08 PM.

Current Local Time
    07:42 AM

As Aaron said, use ref lines. Break down the problem into each axis of movement you want and then build them up on eachothers workplanes.
    So first a ref line that rotates only around the origin in the flat plane.
    Then on the vertical workplane of that line, a ref line that rotates vertically.
    Finally draw your extrusion sketch on the end workplane of the last ref line.

If you get the extrusion working with rotation in 2 directions and you also want to move the position of the 'pipe' in your family, I recommend loading it into the main family as a nested family. Then you can easily move the 'pipe' family around with dimensions to it origin lines, and change the rotation too by linking the angle parameters.
    I use a small family like this myself to host connectors in MEP families (The connector point itself has to be in the main family) and it useful to be able to copy the standard rotating extrusion family multiple times in the main family.

(I know some people will tell me that drawing and dimensioning an extrusion sketch directly on a workplane, and using extrusion length instead of locking to a ref plane, is bad practice, but in this case it vastly simplifies things)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails connector.JPG   connector2.JPG  
    Last edited by josephpeel; July 5th, 2017 at 02:02 PM.

Current Local Time

This is a pretty fantastic tutorial. Very useful. Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by billiam View Post
    If you're trying to make a reference plane with an angle parameter follow this tutorial. Then draw your pipe using a sweep.

https://b3dstudios.wordpress.com/201...eeeeeeeeeeeee/

Current Local Time

Thank you for that! Here's an easy one. Any idea why my rotation to 180deg and 0deg keeps trying to break the family?

Quote Originally Posted by josephpeel View Post
    As Aaron said, use ref lines. Break down the problem into each axis of movement you want and then build them up on eachothers workplanes.
    So first a ref line that rotates only around the origin in the flat plane.
    Then on the vertical workplane of that line, a ref line that rotates vertically.
    Finally draw your extrusion sketch on the end workplane of the last ref line.

If you get the extrusion working with rotation in 2 directions and you also want to move the position of the 'pipe' in your family, I recommend loading it into the main family as a nested family. Then you can easily move the 'pipe' family around with dimensions to it origin lines, and change the rotation too by linking the angle parameters.
    I use a small family like this myself to host connectors in MEP families (The connector point itself has to be in the main family) and it useful to be able to copy the standard rotating extrusion family multiple times in the main family.

(I know some people will tell me that drawing and dimensioning an extrusion sketch directly on a workplane, and using extrusion length instead of locking to a ref plane, is bad practice, but in this case it vastly simplifies things)