Thread: Another Multiple Buildings on Same Site Documentation Question

Current Local Time
    07:45 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Another Multiple Buildings on Same Site Documentation Question

Okay, I know a similar question has been asked many times, but I'm not sure in exactly this circumstance.

I have a site. It has 4 building types on the site. Each building type repeats on the site. The project manager wants to issue one set of construction documents for permit. What is the best way to set up the files to do that? I obviously have each building as it's own file, but as far as getting the documents as one cohesive set (tag references, scheduling, etc.) what is the best way to link the buildings into a file so it can all be documented? I guess where the breakdown is for me, is project north/true north (I would have a different true north and project north per building as they don't existing in the same orientation on the site), as well as how to have multiple instances of the same building on the site, but also only "document" from one of them (i.e. placing of elevation markers, etc.)

Does anyone have any project experience related to this they would share?

Current Local Time

For clarification:
    You will only have one set of building documents for the buildings that are on the site, ie: 4 buildings will be exactly the same?

Current Local Time

no, I was told that we want to issue one document set for permit. They are 4 different buildings, however 3 of them are very similar and may share details. I have advised that the documentation effort still be on a per building basis and if they want to submit all 4 buildings under one permit, than they could do that. However, I am trying to cover my basis here in case there is a real reason to put all the buildings in the same document set.

Current Local Time

Honestly, printing all 4 buildings from one model (while possible) would be kinda like printing your structural, mechanical, electrical, civil, plumbing and landscaping all from one model: not impossible, just a pain to deal with during. You could definitely set up views on a per building basis after linking them all into one project, there would be nothing wrong with this except for the possibility of opening up a view that hasn't been managed and REALLY bogging down someones machine.

If that is the route you want to take, just be sure you have the views set up properly and try to keep a system for the naming of the views based on which building they are for, overall, detail for building 3, etc, etc.

Current Local Time

okay, yeah, but how do you deal with it in the case of having the same instance of the buildings on the site...basically, an apartment complex, with 4 building types. If I was to link the buildings into the site file, do I just choose one of the instances of each building to document? They have different rotations on the site, so how can I make each of them "square" to a view, since I only have one project north and one true north in that file?

Current Local Time
    06:45 PM

We just completed a project with 4 Buildings on a site. The buildings all shared a common set of wall types and some similar details. We set up each building as a separate file and linked them all into the largest building file which allowed us to rotate all of the project North's separately and our sheet Index's to combine with each other. The printing was done separately from each Revit file then combined into one .dwfx set for final printing. In regards to wall types & details they were stored inside of the main buildings Revit file and referenced the details back to the main file.

We also completed a job with 2 identical buildings on the same site. We drew one building up with all of the documentation and when everything was complete we then did a save as to a new file and linked it back into the main. Because they were identical we only noted up one.

Current Local Time

Hey Nate, I sort of follow you, is there any way you can elaborate a bit? This looks to be very useful information, but I don't quite understand what you did. It seems, in your first example, you took the largest of your 4 buildings, and made that file your live documentation file. You linked each of the other buildings into this file, and just placed them side by side for documentation purposes (I assume you used scope boxes etc.) So in this file, you didn't care what the orientations were, you just wanted to be able to have them all squared up on the sheet.

Did you then have a separate file for all the site related work, with all your buildings linked in by shared coordinates, to be correctly oriented on the site?

Also, I don't understand how you dealt with the wall types and details in the last sentence of your first paragraph...??

Current Local Time

In regards to the orientation, take a look at the View Parameter "Orientation" and the difference in Revit between True North and Project North. The issue you are going to encounter here is that if all 4 buildings have a different orientation and you can only have one project north orientation, then 3 buildings are going to be oriented weird on your documents (unless you go through and manually rotate the view regions... >_>). Now this is only a problem if you have to document more than one building in plan (ie: your plan varies from building to building). Otherwise, pick one to use for Project North orientation and go for it.

In regards to putting the buildings on the site. Take a look at using "Publish Shared Coordinates tool once you have the buildings on the site.

HTH,

.C

The Moderator with No Imagination MPwuzhere's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    05:45 PM

We had 7 buildings on our site....we were going to try to keep all the details in a "General" Model and just create dummy sheets and details so that we had something to tag in each model...but we decided it wasn't worth the hassle and kept details in each model instead. Which actually worked out much better as each building was essentially a different volume and you didn't have to go a different volume set to find details for the one you were looking at.