Thread: Adjusting Angles for Pipe Fittings

Current Local Time
    02:43 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Adjusting Angles for Pipe Fittings

My company wants to use longer radius reducing pipe fittings based on a particular manufacturer. We have the correct fittings built, however it does not have the ability to adjust its angle from 90░ to 45░ or any other angle. I have an older fitting that does adjust it's angle, but the sweep is too short. Would it be best to alter the built family that has the correct long sweep or the old family that has the correct angle behavior but the wrong sweep? Or would I have to just create a new family from scratch?

With either option I could use some help if anyone has found a good guide or knows some good tricks to getting this to work.

Thank you,
    -RenChan
    Attached Files Attached Files

Current Local Time
    08:13 PM

I downloaded both families and I could alter the angle of both of them, however the geometry for one connector is in the wrong location on the long bend. I haven't played with pipe bends yet (been putting it off), so I can't offer any wizardry, but I'm sure someone else here can.

I've always found it easier to build a new family from the ground up with the knowledge I gain from doing it the wrong way. Rather than trying to modify something that may have been built wrong from the start. The more complicated the family (pipe fittings can be) the more I'm inclined to start from scratch, but it's ultimately up to you.

I think you may be able to edit your way out of this one; it just seems to be the connector location. I'd give it a crack myself but I am running 2017.
    Last edited by LukeEvans; October 24th, 2016 at 07:31 AM.

Current Local Time
    02:43 AM

After taking a weekend off I came back with a fresh start and somehow managed to get this to work. It was a matter of a part needing to be deleted, the connector reassigned, and then setting the connection to the correct angle. Thankfully this trick also worked for the long sweep reducing tee I was trying to complete.

Thank you for replying to my thread and for the tip.
    -RenChan

Current Local Time
    08:13 PM

Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Sometimes stepping away from the problem and returning later is the best thing to do.