Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Subcategories

Current Local Time
    11:30 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    That's fine I will do that and I'm not familiar with the Autocad users as I have only dealt with Revit and Solidworks users luckily and it's been fine so far. I am only grouping elements together that they become one component e.g. on my mixer that you assisted me on in another thread, I grouped the fins and the operating member together so that two parts became one, I didn't do it parametrically which may not be best practice but for the model I was doing it wasn't necessary as there was only one type required plus I needed to limit the amount of data in the model. I just mean how I have created a revolved component for the operating member (so one closed profile) and a revolved component for the body (the other closed profile)

That is a separate family though and I am just practising it on an old crappy wardrobe I made just to test out tools I never used before. Sure I'll upload it, if you look at it I haven't set material parameters because I deleted them as I wanted to test out how to do it for subcategories just in order to be able to do them simply. This may be a really simple boo boo I have made with the overrides or something but I'd basically like someone to point out my stupidity and point my in the right direction to get this material to work through object styles and the two subcategories I have created. I have attached the family here. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by elton williams View Post
    As Chris pointed out, use subcategories as intended. A long list of subcategories for unique families isnt really best practice and i too would want to get rid of them. (Its hard enough dealing with all the autocrud users keep importing -another story i know). I only really use project level object styles to set default styles for system families being used up to (coarse) SD stage. Otherwise its materials, visibility graphics, filters and view templates.

Why are you using groups in families? What do you mean exactly by 'closed profile for one part and closed profile for another'? You might want to upload your family.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Current Local Time
    05:30 PM

It looks like you have a material assigned to the objects that is overriding the subcategory material. When you create a new object the material will say <By Category>, and that is when the subcategory will drive it. I'm not sure if there's a way to change it back to by category once it's been assigned though, but then I've never had a reason to try.

Current Local Time
    06:30 PM

Quote Originally Posted by chris.macko View Post
    I'm not sure if there's a way to change it back to by category once it's been assigned though, but then I've never had a reason to try.
    When assigning a material, not a parameter, you can select the "By Category" button in the Material Browser to reset the assigned material.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	27747  

Current Local Time
    11:30 PM

Sorry for the late reply,

Thanks for your help guys! special thanks to Andrew as it seems to work now after that tip, you are a Revit don sir

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
    When assigning a material, not a parameter, you can select the "By Category" button in the Material Browser to reset the assigned material.