Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 2500 USD, Received: 2249 USD (90%)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do I extract a .PAT file from revit ?

Current Local Time
    11:44 PM

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

How do I extract a .PAT file from revit ?

Hi , I will try not to make this seem to complicated. I feel it is and maybe there's a better way to do it.

on our project, there's large pieces of the outside wall that are being demo'ed . we want our drawings ( phasing is set up ) to show the demo stuff differently. We don't plot in color. What I want to do is have it show the pattern with a heavier line type. We want the Demo areas to be more punchy on the drawing. We want the line weights to stay the same for the parts of the building that are remaining, and the really heavy linetype to be used on the demo walls.

my plan was to find the hatch pattern from the existing brick wall, and then double up the lines in it and use it for the demo hatch pattern.

the kicker is the hatch used in our model is .. well a Model hatch... and I noticed that the only patterns you can use for demo stuff is Drafting hatch. So i'm aware that if I alter the hatch pattern, it's got to match the Scale of the drawing that it's being used in. thankfully all the elevations are the same scale, so I only have to make the one .pat file.

so my questions are :

1. How do I extract a .pat file that currently in my revit model ? ( a cad export maybe )
    2. is there a simpler way to make the demo section more punchy with a heavier line with the regular overrides ?

Thanks in Advance

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    06:44 PM

There are a few things youre missing:

1. You can only assign ONE Hatch pattern for ALL demo objects, unless you ghetto hack it by making "demo type of objects" which is very anti-Revit. So ALL demolished items would need that same hatch pattern.

2. Revit doesnt REFERENCE .pat files the way CAD does. It loads them in, and then you can discard the .pat file. So unfortch, unless someone has an API function or knows some secret place inside the model database where theyre stored, you cant extract them out.

Current Local Time
    09:44 AM

Answer to question 1
    If you are after a default .pat patten
    "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit Architecture 2011\Data\revit metric.pat" (or imperial) right click and open with notepad then copy the patten (text) you are after. As for altering, good luck, big learning curve.
    From memory there is no way to change line weights.
    When editing in default .pat file location make sure "read only" is off in properties, it will save you a lot of frustration.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post

1. You can only assign ONE Hatch pattern for ALL demo objects, unless you ghetto hack it by making "demo type of objects" which is very anti-Revit. So ALL demolished items would need that same hatch pattern.

2. Revit doesnt REFERENCE .pat files the way CAD does. It loads them in, and then you can discard the .pat file. So unfortch, unless someone has an API function or knows some secret place inside the model database where theyre stored, you cant extract them out.
    Ahhhh, that first one is a biggy. I didn’t get that far in trying this out. It would be bad for the model to suddenly show the demo'ed windows and doors with a brick hatch. I didn’t think that part thru enough. Bummer
    And on the API front, I bet we’re not the first ones to have wanted to take on this juggernaut. Maybe there’s some “Revit-Cracker” out that that busts the drawing open like an egg and spills forth the .pat files. That’d be rad.
    Quote Originally Posted by mark b View Post
    Answer to question 1
    "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit Architecture 2011\Data\revit metric.pat" (or imperial) right click and open with notepad then copy the patten (text) you are after. As for altering, good luck, big learning curve.
    When editing in default .pat file location make sure "read only" is off in properties, it will save you a lot of frustration.
    Yeah hatch patterns are a fun thing to take on. Fun is used loosely here. Ha

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post

Ahhhh, that first one is a biggy. I didnĺt get that far in trying this out. It would be bad for the model to suddenly show the demo'ed windows and doors with a brick hatch. I didnĺt think that part thru enough. Bummer
    And on the API front, I bet weĺre not the first ones to have wanted to take on this juggernaut. Maybe thereĺs some ôRevit-Crackerö out that that busts the drawing open like an egg and spills forth the .pat files. Thatĺd be rad.
    Quote Originally Posted by mark b View Post
    Answer to question 1

Current Local Time
    03:44 PM

Quote Originally Posted by drafterjohn View Post
    Ahhhh, that first one is a biggy. I didn’t get that far in trying this out. It would be bad for the model to suddenly show the demo'ed windows and doors with a brick hatch. I didn’t think that part thru enough. Bummer
    And on the API front, I bet we’re not the first ones to have wanted to take on this juggernaut. Maybe there’s some “Revit-Cracker” out that that busts the drawing open like an egg and spills forth the .pat files. That’d be rad.

Hey drafterjohn.
    When it comes to hatchpatterns in Revit I find creating them from scratch is the easiest way.
    Check out this tutrial using Hatchkit. A cheap hatcrater from down under.

http://blog.cadway.com.au/2010/05/re...hatch-kit.html

http://www.hatchkit.com.au/index.php

Hope this will sort you issue.
    Phasing in Revit is one of those things that you have to fight with.
    Have your tried using a different phase filter for those elevations that is using the overiding graphics for the pahse?
    Good luck.

Current Local Time
    01:44 AM

Actually there┤s an free add-on for Revit that will make custom patterns: http://mertens3d.com/revit-2011-addin-portal/hatch22/
    Havn┤t had the need for it myself, but it looks rather cool

Current Local Time
    09:44 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Munkholm View Post
    Actually there┤s an free add-on for Revit that will make custom patterns: http://mertens3d.com/revit-2011-addin-portal/hatch22/
    Thanks for the heads up Munkholm. 5 minutes to get use to it, then presto, and all inside Revit. Always wanted Aussie brick guage with joints. cool!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ADDIN RESULT.PNG  

"Mark Twain"
    Current Local Time

I am defenitely going to use this one A LOT! Thanks, looks great. We Dutchies have a lot of different brick sizes to choose from, none of which were available in Revit. Never got around too learning the more "difficult" hatch pattern creators, this looks like something I could use even without my morning coffee... (so I have something to do whenever the RSS-feeds break down again... )

"I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Current Local Time
    04:44 PM

thanks Munkholm! it looks like a nice little ap. It'll give me something to play with this weekend