Current Local Time
    01:56 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Color Coding Pipes in 3-D Plans

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MEP 1.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	3504Could somebody help me out with how to color code pipes in 3-D? I’ve posted on AUGI for some advice which I tried to follow but Revit V/G on the 3-D Plumbing plan isn’t letting me use type or type name filters and I have not separated my pipes into systems, just by type names (pipe - CWS, elbow - CWS, tee - CWS). Help be appreciated.

AUGI, tys90:The most common solution to color pipes according to system is to create a different pipe type for every system then create/setup filters that look at the pipe type name and apply a color to the pipe based on the type name. With this method, you don't have to have all the pipes connected to a system to color them, you just have to make sure you draw piping with the correct type.

AUGI, Jrobker:Create (duplicate) a pipe type named "A"
    Create (duplicate) all the associated fittings and name them "A"
    Create a new filter called "A"-->category (pipe, fittings, accessories) and filter by type name = "A"
    Heads up
    This gets tricky with accessories
    Repeat as many times as you have pipe types.

AUGI, Moliva:We've made end caps w/ cold water, hot water, sanitary connectors. that way when placed onto the end of pipe they become part of whatever system. We don't have to use all that much since we typically go ahead and connect fixtures but it's helpful in a pinch.
    also, in 2012 I believe you can assign pipe to a system as you are drawing it if it's not connected.
    You need to add your filters to the 3d view. This method of using pipe types to color or control pipe display works fine but the drawback is that you constantly have to switch pipe types, you have to create duplicate fittings for each pipe type so they also are controlled by the filter....starts to be tedious when you have more than domestic hot and cold.
    We filter by system name and use connectors to "create" systems where there may not be a fixture to connect to right away.
    se13gits, since you are going by "type name" you'll want to set the categories to pipe, pipe fittings, pipe accessories and then "filter by" > "contains" > then type whatever your type name is. Save the filter then apply to the view under VG, then you can change the color all you want.
    Last edited by se13gits; August 8th, 2011 at 04:02 PM.

Current Local Time
    10:56 PM

Ok since you have done this ... (pipe - CWS, elbow - CWS, tee - CWS).
    Go to your filters and create a filter called CWS with pipe, pipe accessories and pipe fittings as your categories. Filter by type name = CWS.
    Add that new filter to the filter tab and give it the color you need. Wash , rinse and repeat.
    After you have all of the filters created in VG, make a view template from that and apply it to all your 3D views.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Jrobker View Post
    Ok since you have done this ... (pipe - CWS, elbow - CWS, tee - CWS).
    Go to your filters and create a filter called CWS with pipe, pipe accessories and pipe fittings as your categories. Filter by type name = CWS.
    Add that new filter to the filter tab and give it the color you need. Wash , rinse and repeat.
    After you have all of the filters created in VG, make a view template from that and apply it to all your 3D views.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MEP 1.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	172.9 KB 
ID:	3508

Jrobker, damn Revit won't let me choose the damn "filter by type name" even though I try and choose it from the drop down menu. I don't know why its not letting me choose it as a filter. What am I doing wrong?

See attachment for what I'm talking about. I've circled in Red as you can see I am trying to choose type name and its not letting me choose it after I hit ok. Really, Revit, really?
    Last edited by se13gits; August 8th, 2011 at 04:49 PM.

Current Local Time

uncheck piping systems. Also Type name isn't a project parameter. Pull it from the drop down list under filter rules.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Jrobker View Post
    uncheck piping systems. Also Type name isn't a project parameter. Pull it from the drop down list under filter rules.
    Thanks so much, didn't see I had piping systems checked. :X

Current Local Time

What year program are you using??