Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 2500 USD, Received: 2249 USD (90%)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjust project base point vs survey point in elevation

Current Local Time
    01:56 PM

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Adjust project base point vs survey point in elevation

This gets me confused every time...

We modeled the site and building (in one file) at actual topo elevations without adjusting any project or survey points... so in this example, top of slab level is at 50' whether the elevation is set to project base point or survey point.

When it comes to documenting the elevation heights of slabs, top of walls, etc., we want to show 0'-0" as the top of slab, top of walls as 10'-0", etc., i.e. when I place a spot elevation on those elements.

But we still need to show survey points and levels per the survey (e.g. 50').

So what exactly what would I adjust to get the survey points to stay as they are while showing the project base point (i.e. top of slab) as 0'-0"?

(and of course set me straight if I've mangled the terminology)

Thanks!

Current Local Time
    03:56 PM

If your top of slab level is 50' above the survey point, then the project base point ALSO needs to be 50' above the survey point. Then you can adjust the type properties of your spot elevations and levels by switching the elevation origin from survey point to project base point, and vice versa.

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    03:56 PM

In the future, i would do it the other way:

1. Leave the levels at 0-0".
    2. Model the building there.
    3. Manage > Coordinates > Specify Coordinates at a Point > Click a point on the slab > set it to 50'.
    4. Use Relative or Project Base to show 0-0", use Shared Coordinates to show 50'.

As it is right now, youll be able to fix the "Project Base" reading, but you are stuck with the Relative Origin being at 50'.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Knitro87 View Post
    If your top of slab level is 50' above the survey point, then the project base point ALSO needs to be 50' above the survey point. Then you can adjust the type properties of your spot elevations and levels by switching the elevation origin from survey point to project base point, and vice versa.
    Thanks. So would I adjust the project base point? Clipped or Unclipped? and/or relocate project? (I know the tools, I just don't really understand them or know which to adjust)

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    In the future, i would do it the other way:

1. Leave the levels at 0-0".
    2. Model the building there.
    3. Manage > Coordinates > Specify Coordinates at a Point > Click a point on the slab > set it to 50'.
    4. Use Relative or Project Base to show 0-0", use Shared Coordinates to show 50'.

As it is right now, youll be able to fix the "Project Base" reading, but you are stuck with the Relative Origin being at 50'.
    Thanks. That's basically how I've gone about doing it all these years, but somebody else in the office... but your post really helps provide evidence that that's the best practice (I'm sure countless users here turn to your posts and all the other revit gurus here, when trying to convince others in their office to do something they don't want to do).

Current Local Time

I made a tutorial explaining this more as a reminder for myself than for the public: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcAhhURbNKE

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time

Just move the Project Base Point (while Unclipped) up to the 50'-0" Elevation or just change its Elev parameter to 50'-0" (again UnClipped). The Survey Point should stay at the original location.

Then use a Spot Elevation whose Elevation Origin parameter is assigned to Project Base Point for the nominal elevations like 0'-0" and 10'-0" and another assigned to Survey Point for the actual elevations.

Fwiw, within the Spot Elevation's Elevation Origin parameter a third option called Relative is possible too, that allows you to reference specific level. For example in an elevation you might want to show the elevation of a building feature as it relates to the ground floor even though it is closer to a higher level.
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; June 8th, 2016 at 02:56 AM.

Current Local Time

Thanks for all the help and tips and tricks and videos!

Current Local Time
    12:56 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Knitro87 View Post
    This the correct way of setting the project elevation, any other way is a workaround.

Current Local Time

i have a weird situation: received RVT from client which is based on cloud scan, level elevation (base) is wrong so i try to move project base point and survey point, but i cannot find both points, these 2 points cannot be deleted to my understanding, anyone encountered similar issue? how to get it back?

edit: turned out cut plane needs to be adjusted too, set all others to unlimited is simply not enough!
    Last edited by Ning Zhou; October 10th, 2017 at 11:01 PM.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    Just move the Project Base Point (while Unclipped) up to the 50'-0" Elevation
    or move Survey Point (while Clipped) down 50'-0" if Project Base Point is correct @ 0'-0", seems working for me, am i totally off?