Thread: 3d hanger family - i need a 2d annotation symbol added and functionable

Current Local Time
    02:08 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Question 3d hanger family - i need a 2d annotation symbol added and functionable

To All,
    I work for a Mechanical Contractor and we are in the design part of our new project. We normally use SYSQUE to insert our hangers, however, to adjust them constantly there are to many other steps for taking measurements and copying them to the correct spot. I would prefer that we can just drag to the correct height on the rod. I want to keep the lengths of strut to how we cut them in the field keeping nominal lengths. The other problem with SYSQUE is the way it inserts pipe is backwards from the actual way we would install in the field so when it puts in automatic hangers it places them they way it was written, not as we need it to be.
    It has been assigned to me to figure out how we can take a family from SYSQUE modify it for our purposes and make is successful.

The real question is:
    How do I insert a 2D symbol into my 3d hanger family?
    I need to be able to dimension to the hanger itself (so if it moves it moves the 2d items moves with it. (we have just been placing a 2D symbol over the hangers now and when the hangers move, the 2D stays - double work)

I would like to be able to turn off either one depending what I am doing. If I am in a 3D view I dont want to see my 2D symbol, same with my 2D plan Ill only want to turn off the 3D hanger.

*** If/ you know how to insert the modified hanger back in to SYSQUE. *** - no worries if not.

Wracking my brain over here - Teal

Current Local Time
    04:08 PM

You can open the family and modify the default to whatever your shop standards are IE.. 3/8" rod, distance from side of duct, extra rod length. Do a SaveAs and name it different then go to a hanger spec and add your new hanger. Not sure about 2D symbol we show the hanger and I half tone them except on the hanger plan. You can dimension to the hanger.

Current Local Time
    02:08 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Teal87 View Post
    To All,
    I work for a Mechanical Contractor and we are in the design part of our new project. We normally use SYSQUE to insert our hangers, however, to adjust them constantly there are to many other steps for taking measurements and copying them to the correct spot. I would prefer that we can just drag to the correct height on the rod. I want to keep the lengths of strut to how we cut them in the field keeping nominal lengths. The other problem with SYSQUE is the way it inserts pipe is backwards from the actual way we would install in the field so when it puts in automatic hangers it places them they way it was written, not as we need it to be.
    It has been assigned to me to figure out how we can take a family from SYSQUE modify it for our purposes and make is successful.

The real question is:
    How do I insert a 2D symbol into my 3d hanger family?
    I need to be able to dimension to the hanger itself (so if it moves it moves the 2d items moves with it. (we have just been placing a 2D symbol over the hangers now and when the hangers move, the 2D stays - double work)

I would like to be able to turn off either one depending what I am doing. If I am in a 3D view I dont want to see my 2D symbol, same with my 2D plan Ill only want to turn off the 3D hanger.

*** If/ you know how to insert the modified hanger back in to SYSQUE. *** - no worries if not.

Wracking my brain over here - Teal
    Hello Teal,

If I understand your comments correctly you can drag the hanger rods up or down. You can also place hangers manually instead of the automatic placement (place hanger command). If you could provide more detail, I think we can figure out the requirements you're looking for.