Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Documenting Grouped Units

Current Local Time
    03:24 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Documenting Grouped Units

I've convinced the team to use Groups instead of Links for suites in a condominium project.

I would like to document the groups out of context, however, for the sales office. I thought to put them in a Secondary Design Option Set (the primary is empty) so I could have them show in the views for the sales office but not for the rest. The problem is that now that's it's a secondary option I'm getting errors when making some (though not all edits). Not good.

I thought to put them in a pre-existing phase but then I have to keep demoing everything that I add so it doesn't show in the main model. Again, not ideal.

Any other thoughts on how to manage this? Worksets?

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    05:24 AM

I generally dont like the *Out of Context* thing, but ive helped some firms do it recently. There are a bunch of options for how, honestly:

1. Design options (what sort of errors are you getting?)

2. The Phase Thing. If you dont like having to demolish the stuff, then make it a Phase AFTER the project. I tend to not like that, since you still have to *avoid* the project model, but it works fine.

3. If you dont want to do either, you can just line them up a good distance from the project in thesame phase as the project. You can have a parameter that has its instance value Vary By Group, which will allow you to check the box on that parameter value for the "out of context" groups, and then you can configure all other groups.schedules to not show values for anything with that box checked.

Thats a lot more work than doing the DO thing, but its doable.

Current Local Time
    06:24 AM

For marketing you can also just create separate views and isolate the groups and any adjoining elements that are needed in those views (i.e. hide everything you don't need.) May or may not be best practice but it would be simple enough to do and eliminates all the issues that can occur with phasing or DOs.

I've done the phase thing in the past and it does work but it can be a pain in the ass if you modify the group in the wrong phase, especially if you then have to go through and un-demo something in your project.

FWIW - my current project and the last 2 I did I just used scope boxes to do the documentation for the enlarged unit plans and didn't worry too much about it, especially after the headaches I ran into using the phasing method.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    1. Design options (what sort of errors are you getting?)
    Stuff like, "no element in a secondary option can be referenced by an element outside that option."

I know you don't like the Workset approach but, so far, I think that might be a workable solution.

They're out of context because the position of the condos can, and will change, in the project.

Current Local Time

I dont *like* the workset approach because it doesnt work everywhere (schedules, and overrides beyond simply on/off). But if it works for you, thats great!

Current Local Time
    06:24 AM

If you use the Design option right it will not be referencing anything. The problem is design options work best starting from a blank canvas. So I find it best to "copy/paste" what I want into a new design option, vs trying to add things to it. That way to force it to break any link. I don't know though what it does to have the group that I assume will update other instances of the group in a design option.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    it doesnt work everywhere (schedules, and overrides beyond simply on/off).
    It doesn't work in schedules... <sigh>

Current Local Time

We're also bumping into each other a lot using the DO approach. Seems when you work in a DO you check out the entire option. Has anyone else seen this behavior lately? I read some old posts about similar issues. Short of a DO for each unit type any thoughts?

Current Local Time

That is true, for how the DO's get checked out with Worksharing. Only thing i can think of is a different Option for each group. Which is.... meh.

Current Local Time

Think I'll go one step further and have a different DOS for each unit... each with 2 DO's (hidden, and visible).

Thanks