Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revit Server Support Files

Current Local Time
    09:41 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Revit Server Support Files

Hi All,

We have noticed a small issue with our Support File sizes on the Revit Server.
    Most of them seem to be within acceptable limits, however occasionally there are some larger file sizes ie 100+ meg coming through as well. (image attached)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Server support Files.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	7689

Not sure why these are so large.
    Can anyone explain this?

Current Local Time
    05:41 PM

I've come across the same issue and talked with Autodesk about it. Some models do this inadvertently. Their fix was to open the model detached, delete the original model from the Revit Server and then save the detached model back as the same name. This will remove all the previous support files and should fix the model for the future.

Current Local Time
    09:41 AM

Thanks Troy,
    Did they say what was causing the isuse? It sems really wierd that only 2 out of six users are creating this file growth.

Current Local Time
    05:41 PM

They never gave us any reasoning other than it wasn't normal.

Autodesk
    Current Local Time
    09:41 PM

To clarify on the support files size as displayed in Revit Server Administrator:

The "central model" on the central/host server is actually a folder with several subfolders. The Data and Permissions subfolder contain all of the data directly related to the central model: that model's geometry, and all of the permissions state associated with it. The sum of these folders is reported through the Model Size column. Everything else counts towards the Support Files column.

Of importance in the context of this discussion is the Users_Temp folder, which is included in the "everything else" bucket. When Revit updates the central model during a SWC, it is actually updating a number of files to the central/host server. These updates are an all-or-nothing affair; if only some were to get updated, the model would be rendered unusable. Thus, when the update is in progress, the data is actually saved to a temporary area. The data is only committed after all of the files have arrived intact on the server, and following this the temporary area is cleaned out.

This temporary area is a folder beneath Users_Temp. Thus, if the support files size is more than a few MB large, it is likely that someone's SWC has failed. It is normal to see this value periodically increase, but in general it should also reduce. If the support file size remains high but is generally static, it is possible that someone attempted to SWC, left files behind, and never tried again for that model. Growth in the supported file size, or a supported file size that is variable but generally large, could be symptomatic of a problem with network reliability, because this will generally indicate that SWCs are failing to succeed somewhat regularly. If the growth is attributable to a specific user (or certain users) it could indicate that those users have developed the habit of terminating Revit in the middle of an operation. This should be discouraged.

When a model is deleted from the server and then created anew, the entire model folder structure including the USers_Temp area is recreated. Thus, the support files size will always reset to a baseline value.

Hope this helps
    Mike Lee
    Autodesk Revit Server QA

Current Local Time
    01:41 AM

Hey Mike, looks like you have stumbled upon our little corner here
    We have talked about this in the past and there is still some crazy stuff going on with large models that get hit by a lot of people.

I have been spending some time on our Central Server looking at a model that was recently recreated due to bloat and performance degradation. I will entertain the class with some imagery compliments of WinDirStat and Snagit
    The model data that I am showing is taken from the daily backup that I have scripted to run at midnight every night. This is static data as are the screenshots of the RSAdmin console that are pasted into the second and third images.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RScentralFileRecreate.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	138.4 KB 
ID:	10290
    Yeah, that is one big model. And look how much smaller it got after getting recreated. Also notice that the Users_Temp folders are empty.

A closer look at what the model looked like prior to it's recreation. Also a snip of the RSAdmin console to show what it represents. The math doesn't really work out

Name:	RScentralFileBefore.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	10291

After the model is detached and recreated it is clearly smaller and much prettier. No more fragmentation! Again, nothing in the Users_Temp folders

Name:	RScentralFileAfter.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	10292

If it would please the class, I can take another picture of the model from tonights backup to see what it looks like after a day of being pounded by six users in four different offices across the US and Canada.

Autodesk
    Current Local Time

Hi Jason, funny that we should cross paths here.

Can you actually provide a copy of the model folder from before recreation? I'd like to take a closer look into the reporting of sizes. I'm wondering if Radmin and windirstat compute size differently - for example, something along the lines of actual file size vs file size on disk (/ blocks consumed by file).

Thank you!
    Mike Lee
    Autodesk Revit Server QA

Current Local Time

Mike, I can send you some files. In the meantime, here is the latest look at that model.
    Interestingly enough, the overall size has decreased but the number of files has increased. That team had a lot of groups to clean up and get rid of so that may be why.
    In this image, I also included a snippet of what Windows is reporting for the folders which is right in line with WinDirStat

Name:	RScentralFileAfter1day.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	10306
    Last edited by jasonbailly; November 19th, 2012 at 06:31 PM.

Autodesk
    Current Local Time

Just a quick followup to this thread: Under certain circumstances for Revit Server 2011 and 2012, temporary files in the Data folder may not be deleted and will be counted towards the support file size. So it is not completely true that the size of the Permissions and Data folders will always be equivalent to the Model size reported in Revit Server Administrator. (As an aside, these temporary files have the extension *.rws_? e.g., *.rws_2, and it is safe to delete them.)

Mike Lee
    Autodesk Revit Server QA

Current Local Time

A coworker will be working abroad for a year traveling to different countries. The first couple of days he had no problem working in the model but the route he ended up with today was lousy with timeouts. I don't think he ever managed to open the model but Revit Server Admin still showed him as using it. I ended up having to use his username on my end to release the worksets, take down, delete, and put back up to Revit Server (same as troygates above). But oh boy! Check out the support file size! (more than twice the actual model)
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...VlMODhxSFp4Mzg

So I guess he is SOL today? Until traffic improves? ideas?

Anybody know which countries Autodesk has servers? We may try using the cloud