Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20 building in Revit, now it's lagging, any solution? Different software?

Current Local Time
    01:52 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

20 building in Revit, now it's lagging, any solution? Different software?

Hi, I made a 3D model of my Village in Revit with 20 buildings as links.

Now the problem is that after loading these links Revit lags a lot.

My system configuration is 32 GB RAM, 4.00 GHz Octa Processor, Nvidia Quadro K620.

Now with the file running in the baground hardly any of my resources are being used.
    Max is 5 GB RAM, 800 MB in the graphic card and processor is used around 30%.
    The project is on an SSD and even it's not being used.

How do I reduce this lag? Is a different software recommended for such large scale projects?
    I plan on working on smart cities as well. What software should I use for that? Is Revit sufficient because a smart city will have many more buildings and then Revit will lag like crazy.

What do I do?
    Last edited by lolcocks; December 8th, 2015 at 01:24 PM.

Current Local Time
    12:22 AM

Quote Originally Posted by lolcocks View Post
    Hi, I made a 3D model of my Village in Revit with 20 buildings as links.

Now the problem is that after loading these links Revit lags a lot.

My system configuration is 32 GB RAM, 4.00 GHz Octa Processor, Nvidia Quadro K620.

Now with the file running in the baground hardly any of my resources are being used.
    Max is 5 GB RAM, 800 MB in the graphic card and processor is used around 30%.
    The project is on an SSD and even it's not being used.

How do I reduce this lag? Is a different software recommended for such large scale projects?
    I plan on working on smart cities as well. What software should I use for that? Is Revit sufficient because a smart city will have many more buildings and then Revit will lag like crazy.

What do I do?
    Navisworks

Current Local Time
    10:22 AM

Put each linked model (Or group of small models) in a separate workset.
    Then when you want to work on a particular part of the project, open the main model with the 'Specify' option.
    Choose just the worsets of the buildings you wish to see and close the rest.

This is how we deal with multiple linked architectural buildings in combined MEP models.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Karl View Post
    Navisworks
    Is it good enough?

Can it handle 20+ buildings without the software lagging like crazy plus rendering for taking photos?
    Like I want to know how people put up hoardings of their 20+ buildings of housing societies before it is constructed and it's high quality.

How do they do that? Which software?

Quote Originally Posted by josephpeel View Post
    Put each linked model (Or group of small models) in a separate workset.
    Then when you want to work on a particular part of the project, open the main model with the 'Specify' option.
    Choose just the worksets of the buildings you wish to see and close the rest.

This is how we deal with multiple linked architectural buildings in combined MEP models.

Okay, but what about when I want to render the whole thing as one? That would be laggy a lot and rendering with take a lot of time.

Current Local Time
    12:22 AM

Is it good enough?

Can it handle 20+ buildings without the software lagging like crazy plus rendering for taking photos?
    Like I want to know how people put up hoardings of their 20+ buildings of housing societies before it is constructed and it's high quality.

How do they do that? Which software?

Okay, but what about when I want to render the whole thing as one? That would be laggy a lot and rendering with take a lot of time.
    Navisworks is suited nicely for what you are describing. There are youtube videos that go into detail about this, or go to the Autodesk website and research there.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Karl View Post
    Navisworks is suited nicely for what you are describing. There are youtube videos that go into detail about this, or go to the Autodesk website and research there.

So it's capable of renderings and taking high quality photos as well as giving my client a whole 3D model? :O

Current Local Time
    09:22 AM

So it's capable of renderings and taking high quality photos as well as giving my client a whole 3D model? :O
    No, the right tool for the right job.

The renders of cityscapes you see on hoardings and in other marketing material will have been produced, in wait for it, a rendering package.

Photos? Well almost always a camera is used - sometimes a phone - and (sadly) now just ripped from Google Street View. Not sure why you're throwing that into an expectation of software?!

Navisworks, if you have a copy, comes with an example model of Bath (England) - it has done for years. The model is pretty horrible, in terms of model-detail fidelity, but is a fair example of what's entirely possible/practical to serve the purpose of urban-scale work (CGI or otherwise) fairly nicely.

If you're talking about models of a 1:1 fidelity (I doubt it based on your questions) then you're going to struggle in ANY program - Revit potentially more so. No one (to my knowledge/belief) is 'really' doing this - and you'll waste energy aplenty expecting or waiting for that to happen. The pragmatic amongst us employ workflows that partition/truncate/limit/filter the unwieldy weight of very large datasets, and it's these tricks and skills you will need to hone - in any software.

As for your modelling of a 20 building village? Let's see it then...

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by snowyweston View Post
    No, the right tool for the right job.

The renders of cityscapes you see on hoardings and in other marketing material will have been produced, in wait for it, a rendering package.

Photos? Well almost always a camera is used - sometimes a phone - and (sadly) now just ripped from Google Street View. Not sure why you're throwing that into an expectation of software?!

Navisworks, if you have a copy, comes with an example model of Bath (England) - it has done for years. The model is pretty horrible, in terms of model-detail fidelity, but is a fair example of what's entirely possible/practical to serve the purpose of urban-scale work (CGI or otherwise) fairly nicely.

If you're talking about models of a 1:1 fidelity (I doubt it based on your questions) then you're going to struggle in ANY program - Revit potentially more so. No one (to my knowledge/belief) is 'really' doing this - and you'll waste energy aplenty expecting or waiting for that to happen. The pragmatic amongst us employ workflows that partition/truncate/limit/filter the unwieldy weight of very large datasets, and it's these tricks and skills you will need to hone - in any software.

As for your modelling of a 20 building village? Let's see it then...

So I have no options here?
    How do people work on huge large scale projects such as smart cities where they put in every single building of the city in the software.

Or 3D model of large sites which are over 5 kilometers with lots of buildings.
    How do they make and render that?

Current Local Time
    06:22 PM

So I have no options here?
    How do people work on huge large scale projects such as smart cities where they put in every single building of the city in the software.

Or 3D model of large sites which are over 5 kilometers with lots of buildings.
    How do they make and render that?
    Start by putting linked buildings on separate worsets as suggested above. Then start reducing fidelity by turning off model elements that you're not going to see in an overhead shot (plumbing, casework etc) youd be surprised how quickly revit can pull back from the lag when you start removing unnecessary geometry. Ive had entire villages of 40-50 buildings spinning freely in 3D and my computer isnt ott.
    Or use more suitable software like navisworks.

Current Local Time
    10:22 AM

Could the Revit 3D engine do occlusion culling? I understand why all objects need to be present in a view if you want to select them all etc. but it would be a nice option to have all obscured objects automatically hidden for viewing (With a coloured border or something to let you know that option is on).

Or export to FBX and run around in your village in Unity.
    Last edited by josephpeel; December 9th, 2015 at 10:04 AM.