Thread: Can you have a Label (tag like) in a family?

Current Local Time
    10:49 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Can you have a Label (tag like) in a family?

So i want something like a tag inside a family. The tag parameter (the label) should read a instance shared parameter in the family.
    So when you put the family it contain the parameter exposed via this Label in a place that is set in your family (the place where is the Label).
    I have tried to nest an generic annotation that have a label inside (with a shared parameter) but it doesn`t let me put an instance of the nested annotation in the plan view of my family.
    Last edited by gaby424; July 21st, 2011 at 02:29 PM.

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    02:49 PM

Quote Originally Posted by gaby424 View Post
    So i want something like a tag inside a family. The tag parameter (the label) should read a instance shared parameter in the family.
    So when you put the family it contain the parameter expozed via this Label in a place that is set in your family (the place where is the Label).
    I have tryed to nest an generic adnotation that have a label inside (with a shared parameter) but it doesn`t let me put an instance of the nested adnotation in the plan view of my family.
    You can do it, but you wont be able to move the generic Annotation around once its in the family, unless you give it some manually controlled offset parameters.

Current Local Time

how can i do it?
    it didn`t worked here?
    my problem is that i want to reveal A, B, C, D... instance parameters of a rebar family (where A, B ,C, D are segment dimensions of the shape of the rebar family). A created some shared parameters that are equal with A, B, C, D so i can make them available in a annotation family. Then i`ve nested the generic annotation family and can`t put the instance in the plan view of the rebar family.
    Last edited by gaby424; July 21st, 2011 at 02:35 PM.

Forum Co-Founder Alfredo Medina's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    03:49 PM

Please refer to this thread: http://revitforum.org/showthread.php...ull=1#post6446
    I think the solution shown in that thread can help you in this case.

Current Local Time

Alf, i think it isn`t the solution there. I want these tags to already be placed in family editor. So in project you don`t have to tag or dimension every segment length of your rebar shape. I want this tag to be controlable via a visibility parameter (instance type). The rebar family is not a detail but a real rebar family.

The workflow i want to achieve:

-The structural consultant has a concrete beam
    -He makea 3d rebar inside it
    -Then he make a section.
    -The section show your concrete and the rebars.
    -You duplicate the section view
    -In this new view, you isolate the rebar that is parralel with your computer screen.
    -You click the rebar family and in property palete you swich on the "Tag segments length of rebar" visibility parameter(instance).
    -You know have a rebar detail already taged that is a live geometry.
    Last edited by gaby424; July 21st, 2011 at 04:09 PM.

Current Local Time

Alf, i think it isn`t the solution there. I want these tags to already be placed in family editor. So in project you don`t have to tag or dimension every segment length of your rebar shape. I want this tag to be controlable via a visibility parameter (instance type). The rebar family is not a detail but a real rebar family.

The workflow i want to achieve:

-The structural consultant has a cpncrete beam
    -He makea 3d rebar inside it
    -Then he make a section.
    -The section show your concrete and the rebars.
    -You duplicate the section view
    -In this new view, you isolate the rebar that is parralel with your computer screen.
    -You click the rebar family and in property palete you switch on the "Tag segments length of rebar" visibility parameter(instance).
    -You know have a rebar detail already taged that is a live geometry.
    What you are missing is that an instance parameter of a component isnt view specific: Its going to 'tag' the rebar everywhere, in all of the views, not just that one... Including the original section. Otherwise, its just a tag.

Current Local Time

ah...you are correct Lol mabe a filter(view template) for the other views that close a special subcategory created for the nested shared family that gives you the "tag like" thing. Anyway, is it possible to have this (to see this tag like automaticly)? Aaron in your first post you gave me hope Tell me it`s possible
    Last edited by gaby424; July 21st, 2011 at 04:13 PM.

Current Local Time

ah...you are correct Lol mabe a filter(view template) for the other views that close a special subcategory created for the nested shared family that gives you the "tag like" thing. Anyway, is it possible to have this (to see this tag like automaticly)? Aaron in your first post you gave me hope Tell me it`s possible
    Works fine. Not sure why you cant get it to work?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Current Local Time

THX! Interesting...
    I don`t know, maybe because instead of the generic model family as you have in your example, i have tried in a structural rebar family (RST 2011). After i`ve nested the generic annotation family inside that rebar family, i have tried to put an instance of that annotation in the plan view and i received something like "can`t create instance in this view". I don`t have RST installed at home to test again. I hope it is not a limitation of RST2011. I`ll try with RST2012 maybe it works (Also the generic annotation template i`ve used was from that RST2011, and everything was tested in RST).