Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 2500 USD, Received: 2249 USD (90%)

Thread: custom curtain wall creation (mullion profiles, panels)

Current Local Time
    04:29 PM

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

custom curtain wall creation (mullion profiles, panels)

hello all,

i am having a problem creating a curtain wall family that represents a unitized wall system where panels of glass are captured normally by a mullion, and then a solid metal panel is received by the same mullion and is flush with the face of that mullion. i was able to create a curtain panel that represented the metal panel, and a couple of mullion profiles that represent the mullions in the assembly. the problem is that when i start to place the mullions in the curtain wall in the project, there is some problem with the curtain panel "metal panel" i created, and revit says it needs to delete the type out of the curtain wall.
    i included the different families in the curtain wall that are unique. does anyone have an idea of why this is happening? i suspect it is a problem with the mullion profiles, but i can't seem to pinpoint the issue.
    thanks!
    t
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mullion.PNG   mullion1.PNG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

"I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Current Local Time
    01:29 PM

Quote Originally Posted by tweg View Post
    hello all,

i am having a problem creating a curtain wall family that represents a unitized wall system where panels of glass are captured normally by a mullion, and then a solid metal panel is received by the same mullion and is flush with the face of that mullion. i was able to create a curtain panel that represented the metal panel, and a couple of mullion profiles that represent the mullions in the assembly. the problem is that when i start to place the mullions in the curtain wall in the project, there is some problem with the curtain panel "metal panel" i created, and revit says it needs to delete the type out of the curtain wall.
    i included the different families in the curtain wall that are unique. does anyone have an idea of why this is happening? i suspect it is a problem with the mullion profiles, but i can't seem to pinpoint the issue.
    thanks!
    t
    you do need some work on your mullion profiles as they are not the same but I don't know if that is causing the problem. I made both profiles to match your right side and everything works fine. Everything worked fine with the original profiles but the grips for the panel glazing were different at each side. Isn't curtain wall fun
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unitized-CW.png  

Current Local Time

still having problems

i am including a copy of the curtain wall i am trying to create. in this case, i am trying to place all solid panels after all the mullions. as you can see, i can place the panels above horizontal intermediate mullions, but can't seem to get it so the large panels that span from the top and bottom of the assembly to change from the default panel to the custom one i created. i get the same error.
    it looks like the panel doesn't want to be placed in a spot where there is no grid line splitting the wall in at least two parts. any idea as to why this is? and how to make a panel that can work?

thanks! t
    Attached Files Attached Files

"Mark Twain"
    Current Local Time
    08:29 PM

The problem is this:

your own panel can't handle multiple types of mullions along it's edges. The ones that give you an error message all have edges with part mullion and the top segment without a mullion. This means the part WITH a mullion has a different width from the part WITHOUT a mullion (see attached). Only true system panels can handle those kind of different widths in one panel.
    If anyone found a way around this, please share... cause I keep hitting this wall too...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails custom panel.png  

Current Local Time

i am including a copy of the curtain wall i am trying to create. in this case, i am trying to place all solid panels after all the mullions. as you can see, i can place the panels above horizontal intermediate mullions, but can't seem to get it so the large panels that span from the top and bottom of the assembly to change from the default panel to the custom one i created. i get the same error.
    it looks like the panel doesn't want to be placed in a spot where there is no grid line splitting the wall in at least two parts. any idea as to why this is? and how to make a panel that can work?

thanks! t
    I agree with Martijn. You can't have an interruption in a vertical or horizontal mullion profile somewhere in the middle of a curtain panel. And, from what little you have posted this isn't the way that unitized curtain walls are built anyway, in Revit or in reality. When I do a unitized curtain wall I use a separate curtain wall for each unit and they have 1/2 profiles for the top and bottom and both sides of each "unit" which generally runs floor to floor. Then the intermediate horizontals (and verticals if there are any) are full profiles. This way all curtain panels (glass and metal panels) are enclosed in a mullion profile that will accept a curtain panel. Another advantage to this process is that it allows you to make takeoffs for parts and pieces of the curtain wall panels. With your design there is no way (that I can see) to separate parts into units. Another note, your profiles where you have SSG casement vents shouldn't have glazing pockets otherwise the vents won't schedule the correct size. I guess that you could schedule them correctly using a conditional format but I like to have things the correct size as much as possible.

Current Local Time

thanks for your advice. more than anything, i wanted to avoid breaking the wall up into different curtain walls, but it seems that it actually be the best idea.

Current Local Time

thanks for your advice. more than anything, i wanted to avoid breaking the wall up into different curtain walls, but it seems that it actually be the best idea.
    sorta like in real life, unitized curtain wall is better than stick built curtain wall Good luck! I'm always up for curtain wall discussion so post more or you can PM me if you like