Thread: Single project multiple buildings

Current Local Time
    07:25 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Single project multiple buildings

So curios how each of you would handle this. i'm already waist deep but just starting to get into CD’s so thought I’d ask for thoughts. I have ideas that will work and have worked in the past, but would like to hear some others as well, new view points might just come up with a better solution.

I have the following
    · one project
    · Which consist of 2 sites (located 2 short block apart)
    · has 3 Buildings
    · 2 of which are identical
    · All three of which will want to share the same details, materials, unit plans(some are shared some are not, those that are shared should be the same this goes for kitchens and vanities etc. as well)
    · One contractor will build as one construction phase (so details should be the same)

Oh and of course none of the three buildings are orthogonal to one another and not at the same elevations.

Current Local Time

I've dealt with many project like this in the past. The key lies in what your contractor is willing to be comfortable with and getting them to agree that each building should have it's own set of drawings. Having 1 set of drawings per building will allow you to reuse sheets WITH THE SAME SHEET NUMBER (this is key). If I could get my way, I would produce 3 sets of documents, 1 for each building. The documentation would be contained and printed from a model for each building type.

So if you have 3 buildings, Building A and Buildings B.1 and B.2 (assuming the two instances of the similar building are similar enough to share documentation) I would do this:

Have 3 models:

• Site model
    • Building A model
    • Building B model

Any documentation you need to show all buildings on the site is contained in the Site model. You can link the 2 building models in and create instances on the site to show the total project composition.
    Any documentation for building A is contained in the building A model
    Any documentation for building B.1 and B.2 is contained in the building B model. I used design options to contain the differences in the 2 buildings.

Pick one of the buildings to be "home base" for the project. This model will contain all of the shared documentation for all 3 buildings. You print the shared documentation 3 times, and combine it into different sets (just like you used to when you plotted it out and laid all the sheets out in the hallway for sorting).

The pros of this approach:

• Fewer sheets needing to be produced
    • Less duplicate modeling
    • No need to set up linked views for cross model documentation! (as needed in the "master project" approach)

The cons to this approach:

• Stubborn contractors tend to have a hard time with "3 sets of documents on 1 construction site"
    • The logistics will be mind boggling at first to sort which model contains the source for duplicate sheets
    • If you are using consultants you will need to train them in this logic and use of Design Options OR you will need to maintain a lot of linked models (which you would need to do in other approaches anyhow)

Hope this helps!

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by rkitect View Post
    I've dealt with many project like this in the past. The key lies in what your contractor is willing to be comfortable with and getting them to agree that each building should have it's own set of drawings. Having 1 set of drawings per building will allow you to reuse sheets WITH THE SAME SHEET NUMBER (this is key). If I could get my way, I would produce 3 sets of documents, 1 for each building. The documentation would be contained and printed from a model for each building type.

So if you have 3 buildings, Building A and Buildings B.1 and B.2 (assuming the two instances of the similar building are similar enough to share documentation) I would do this:

Have 3 models:

• Site model
    • Building A model
    • Building B model

Any documentation you need to show all buildings on the site is contained in the Site model. You can link the 2 building models in and create instances on the site to show the total project composition.
    Any documentation for building A is contained in the building A model
    Any documentation for building B.1 and B.2 is contained in the building B model. I used design options to contain the differences in the 2 buildings.

Pick one of the buildings to be "home base" for the project. This model will contain all of the shared documentation for all 3 buildings. You print the shared documentation 3 times, and combine it into different sets (just like you used to when you plotted it out and laid all the sheets out in the hallway for sorting).

The pros of this approach:

• Fewer sheets needing to be produced
    • Less duplicate modeling
    • No need to set up linked views for cross model documentation! (as needed in the "master project" approach)

The cons to this approach:

• Stubborn contractors tend to have a hard time with "3 sets of documents on 1 construction site"
    • The logistics will be mind boggling at first to sort which model contains the source for duplicate sheets
    • If you are using consultants you will need to train them in this logic and use of Design Options OR you will need to maintain a lot of linked models (which you would need to do in other approaches anyhow)

Hope this helps!
    Interesting and close to the process I've used on past projects - how do you deal with details, sections, that are the same, and updating those details to keep them consistent both in information and reference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Local Time

Yup, this is always a sore point with this method. I create the detail and still create the details view callouts when needed in the documentation in all models. However, I only develop the actual detail sheet in one of the models and print that sheet however many times I need it in the whole project (3 copies in this instance, where you need 1 detail sheet in each set of documents)

This way, you don't need to develop all of the detail sheets, just the one in the "home base" model. Going back to my first post, the key here is selling the people involved in a sheet numbering system that will be consistent for all three projects. I've had contractors complain about how confusing and difficult this is, but it always ends up being a good opportunity to show them something new and efficient!

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    05:25 PM

To manage those common shared details take a close look at the Auto Link part of Revit Workflow from Revolution Design. It offers intelligent linking/referencing of views in linked models.

Current Local Time

Steve,

Do you know if that tool will handle standard callouts also? It looks like the video only deals with text based callouts. Has anyone seen this in practice? It looks really promising for this kind of problem.

Thanks,
    Tom

Current Local Time

For sharing common details across multiple Revit projects, do them as 2D drafting views, then insert the entire sheet into the other project files.

Current Local Time

This doesn't work for actual 3d views, sections, elevations, detail views. I'm currently supporting a project with 4 buildings in one model (not my choice, just supporting) due to the fact you can't easily propagate model views across multiple files. The item Steve has mentioned might do it but the marketing for it doesn't indicate a workflow that actually uses Section callouts to reference another view.

In our model they have a stair that is modeled correctly in one building. The others are duplicates but one particular 3d view is annotated and detailed to provide instructions for ALL stairs. So each building references that one view. Can't make a drafting view that behaves that way.

EDIT: This also doesn't address changes or additions to views on a sheet and how to keep track of them all across 4 files. So if that sheet changes or gains an additional view it requires multiple steps to get the view propagated to each separate building.
    Last edited by TRWhitehead; November 2nd, 2015 at 05:50 PM.

Current Local Time
    06:25 PM

For drafting details this can happen with a single file containing the details and linking it into each project. I have clients who have been using this method for years and it works really well. I have spoken about this topic at RTC 2012 and AU 2013. They key lies in creating all of the details in either a floor plan or section NOT drafting views. Once that file is linked into another then the views can be displayed by Linked model. Works extremely well and the details that only apply to certain buildings can be used accordingly.
    Link Details to Multiple Projects in Revit

Current Local Time

Thank, good to have confirmation of my thought and process to this point all perfectly in line wit the comments ( though I was really hoping for that magic answer i had been missing)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk