Thread: GUID : relation modelling & coordination

Current Local Time
    12:24 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

GUID : relation modelling & coordination

In our project the choose was made to use Guid as identifier and link to other software. The revit (nwc files) use this as a rigid connection. This method surely has some cons and pros. Once a object is modelled in the design process it seems that it not possible (*?) to delete a object and replace it anymore, to replace it with a more detailled one in the next stage of the design proces (*correct?) If so, this will definitly constrain an limit the choice of modelling techniques. The first choice is very important (*?). So, objects need to be very flexible all the way to fabrication of the parts.

I was wondering if there a any 3d modelers having experience with this kind of workflow to share some other idea's and experiences.

Is it not possible to delete / copy / assign guids? Theoretical / in practice
    What other methods are there to work together with panning and clash analysis software?

*? : meaning .. I have no experience to oversee all consequences.. 'Is this the case?'

Thanks in advance

Current Local Time
    05:24 PM

Quote Originally Posted by HansLammerts View Post
    Is it not possible to delete / copy / assign guids? Theoretical / in practice
    Well so no, Revit's built-in GUIDs can't be mucked with. Revit assigns them, and changes them, and there isn't a lot you can do there about it without causing other problems (as far as I know).

However, that doesn't mean you can't make a Shared Parameter to contain a 'fabrication GUID' or something that YOU assign manually or via the API. We've done this in the past for fabrication info we'd like to track throughout the project.

Quote Originally Posted by HansLammerts View Post
    What other methods are there to work together with panning and clash analysis software?
    Tons! It really depends on what you're doing, and what tools you're planning on using to do it. Tell us more about what you're up to and maybe more folks here can offer up some advice.

Current Local Time
    12:24 AM

So, what you are accually are saying is that using the guid is not a *big understatement* very smart choice, right..? Why limit youre Revit modelling capabilities where you have better paremeters to control it. I do not know why exactly this was chosen, or if this really is the case it should be. But this first reaction establishes my believe there is a better way. Thanks

(Sorry for a maybe broken foreign english writing)