Thread: Manufacturer Part Numbers?

Current Local Time
    09:45 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Manufacturer Part Numbers?

Hi. I'm trying to create manufacturer specific pipe fitting libraries. Is it possible to add manufacturer part numbers to individual sizes of components? E.G. I have made an elbow family using lookup tables, but I can't see how I can add the unique part numbers to each individual size of elbow. Any ideas?

Current Local Time
    10:45 AM

2 options.

1. Put the part numbers in the lookup table, in the correct row with the diameters. Then in the family make an instance parameter for part number (Shared parameter if you want to tag/schedule it) and then use; =size_lookup(Lookup Table Name, "Column with part number", Size, Value if not found) in the formula to get the part number. (Or something like that, check the exact syntax).

2. Use an If formula; =If(Size > X, "Part Number X", If(Size > Z, "Part Number Z", If(...... and so on. (Write it in notepad with tabs and line breaks, they disappear when you paste to revit).
    Last edited by josephpeel; March 6th, 2015 at 01:03 PM.

Current Local Time
    03:45 AM

Quote Originally Posted by josephpeel View Post
    (Write it in notepad with tabs and line breaks, they disappear when you paste to revit).
    Reeeeeally? Tip of the century right here!! I wanna try this in Notepad++....

Current Local Time
    10:45 AM

((It beats trying to write 20 if statements inside each other in a tiny text bo)...unexpected end of statement

Current Local Time

Thanks Joseph, much appreciated.

Killian

Current Local Time

Hi, I'm finally getting around to looking at this again. I got it to work if the manufacturer part number is numberical only, using a number type shared parameter using the following formula =size_lookup(Lookup Table Name, "Part_Code", 0, Nominal Diameter / 1).
    If the Part number has any letters in it, it won't work with that formula, so I tried creating a text type shared parameter, but then I can't get the formula to work, it just says "Invalid Input". Any ideas please? Thanks

Current Local Time
    01:45 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Kilian View Post
    =size_lookup(Lookup Table Name, "Part_Code", 0, Nominal Diameter / 1).
    If the Part number has any letters in it, it won't work with that formula, so I tried creating a text type shared parameter, but then I can't get the formula to work, it just says "Invalid Input".
    Did you ever get it to work?

this was my solution; I created a Text instance parameter with the following formula

if(and(D1 = 1/2", D2 = 1/2", Angle = 90░), "9801-005", if(and(D1 = 3/4", D2 = 3/4", Angle = 90░), "9801-007",if(and(XX = size, XX2 = size, XX? = size/angle), "Partnumber","0")))

anything you want to be "Text" actually has to be surrounded by Quotes, even your "false" statement has to be surrounded by Quotes. replace my Variables with yours and continue added the sizes. i set up a template at the end. XX? may not be needed depended on your constraints, everything in red can be deleted if not needed. don't forget to add a parenthesis at the end for every additional if(and( Statment

Current Local Time

Hi, yes I got it to work using the formula like you suggested. It would be great if we could add a text column for part numbers into the lookup table instead of typing all the part numbers into a formula - but hey it works so thats good. I have added two shared parameters to my parts, one is the Manufacturer Part Number (using the formula & shared text parameter), the other is our company order code (using the lookup table and a Shared number parameter). I just have one question, how do I stop it adding the decimal place and all the zero's?
    Thanks for the help guys.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Revit.PNG 
Views:	11 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	23184

Current Local Time
    02:45 AM

In your project schedules you can change your unit formatting. So I would un-check "use default settings" and change my number units to fixed. This allows you to change your rounding to however many decimal places you want.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unit formatting.PNG 
Views:	7 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	23191

Current Local Time

Thanks Evan