Thread: Multiple Document Environment

Current Local Time
    01:15 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Question Multiple Document Environment

This may be something simple that I am missing, but here goes... One of our users is experiencing a problem with Revit when working with multiple files. The user cannot get Revit to open multiple files when double-clicking on the file(s) from her desktop or Windows Explorer. For instance, if they have opened a Revit project file and try to open a Family file from Windows Explorer, Revit opens the Family in an entirely new session of Revit instead of in the already running session. I know we could get around this by always opening files from within Revit - but that is a workaround, not a fix. This has not happened with previous versions, and as far as I can tell, it is only happening at one workstation. All file types (rvt, rfa, etc.) have the proper associations within Windows. The machine is running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and Revit 2012.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Current Local Time

I have both 2011 and 2012 so I'm not sure how it works for me as I changed my rvt's to open default in 2011 till we make the switch to 2012.

But you could drag and drop into a current session which would be better than the open dialog if your using the double click method now.

The Moderator with No Imagination MPwuzhere's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    10:15 PM

I try to discourage people opening files from Explorer...for fear they would try to open the central file...
    Problem about the drag and drop is it works for loading families into the current session too...

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by MPwuzhere View Post
    ...Problem about the drag and drop is it works for loading families into the current session too...
    good point!

Current Local Time
    09:15 PM

Our office standard that I try to pound into peoples heads are to only open revit files via the open command. I have even gone as far as to suggest disabling the "Enable Recent Files page at startup." When using central files there are options only available when using the open dialogue (create local, specify worksets, etc). With sinlge user files and rfa's this is less of an issue, but developing good habits can prevent damage to projects, for example a user opening a 2011 project we can not upgrade in 2012 because they have double clicked through explorer.

While this doesnt address the OP question, I hope it helps. I do know that windows associates the latest version installed to Revit file types, I don't why that would cause extra sessions to open however, unless the user is using multiple versions...

Current Local Time

Only Revit 2012 is installed on the machine...

Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Black View Post
    Our office standard that I try to pound into peoples heads are to only open revit files via the open command. I have even gone as far as to suggest disabling the "Enable Recent Files page at startup." When using central files there are options only available when using the open dialogue (create local, specify worksets, etc). With sinlge user files and rfa's this is less of an issue, but developing good habits can prevent damage to projects, for example a user opening a 2011 project we can not upgrade in 2012 because they have double clicked through explorer.

While this doesnt address the OP question, I hope it helps. I do know that windows associates the latest version installed to Revit file types, I don't why that would cause extra sessions to open however, unless the user is using multiple versions...