Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Linked CAD in a linked Revit file

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    March 6, 2013
    Posts
    122
    Current Local Time
    11:43 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Linked CAD in a linked Revit file

    I have an Arch linked Revit file in the project. The Revit link has a CAD file linked in. I managed to show the CAD link in my project as well. The only issue I am having now is with visual graphics of the CAD link. I can't seem to change it. The graphic override option is greyed out. Going through VG did not seem to solve the problem either.

    Right now it appears with the same color scheme it was made in AutoCAD with. However, I want to change the appearance. How would I go about this?

  2. #2
    Member anthonyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 31, 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    430
    Current Local Time
    04:43 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    You may need to get your architect to set up a view for you to link by.

    Have them:
    * create a view named MyLinkedViewCad or similar in their file.
    * use VG > Imported Categories to set the overrides as you direct.

    Then when you link in that file, set VG > Revit Links > Display Settings to By Linked View and select the view created for you.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    July 24, 2013
    Posts
    33
    Current Local Time
    04:43 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    If the architect linked a cad file in I think you have 2 options:

    - The cad file should be under "Imported Categories" in their linked model - ie. go to View Graphics > Revit Linked > Then change the By Host View to Custom for the Link > etc etc.
    - Link the cad file yourself instead of using theirs

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    March 6, 2013
    Posts
    122
    Current Local Time
    11:43 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyB View Post
    You may need to get your architect to set up a view for you to link by.

    Have them:
    * create a view named MyLinkedViewCad or similar in their file.
    * use VG > Imported Categories to set the overrides as you direct.

    Then when you link in that file, set VG > Revit Links > Display Settings to By Linked View and select the view created for you.
    Would they need to make multiple views if there are multiple levels with the same issue?

    Quote Originally Posted by troywright View Post
    If the architect linked a cad file in I think you have 2 options:

    - The cad file should be under "Imported Categories" in their linked model - ie. go to View Graphics > Revit Linked > Then change the By Host View to Custom for the Link > etc etc.
    - Link the cad file yourself instead of using theirs
    The first option you mentioned is how I got it to show on the floor plans instead of staying hidden. In the same place there is an option for graphic overrides. I used that option but it did not reflect on any of the floor plans. I changed the color scheme to one consistent color but it still appeared as different layer colors of AutoCAD.

    For the second option I tried to link it multiple times but it would not show on my floor plans. It appears when I go to manage links but not on the plans themselves.

  5. #5
    Member anthonyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 31, 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    430
    Current Local Time
    04:43 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by aykhan9 View Post
    Would they need to make multiple views if there are multiple levels with the same issue?
    Yes, one view for each level. In my project we have set up a bunch of views for our partners to link in by. It might have taken some time initially, but I have not been into those views in months.

Similar Threads

  1. Cropping a linked revit file
    By mseese in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 13th, 2014, 06:00 PM
  2. Aligning Linked CAD file to Revit Project?
    By lukewallace1990 in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 23rd, 2012, 08:08 PM
  3. Linked Revit File - Show In More Detail
    By domsib in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: November 2nd, 2012, 02:33 PM
  4. Insert a Linked Revit File
    By dzatto in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: May 1st, 2011, 07:08 PM
  5. Insert linked revit file
    By redmonki in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 7th, 2011, 02:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •