Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MMasterpasqua
    • May 15, 2014

How to replicate these type of panels

In an effort to make myself more valuable to the firm, I am trying to get more proficient in creating adaptive components and conceptual masses. They don't like to break the mold too much so curvilinear masses are out for now. I have found a lot of rectilinear geometries and systems that I find interesting and I think the designers here would too. I want to start replicating these so I can learn the method of creating these pieces (of course I am not going to steal them, just use them as a learning tool.)

Here is an example of what I am talking about by SHoP: a f a s i a: SHOP ARCHITECTS. I am intrigued by the pattern created by the brick as well as the depth change and think it is a good place to start given the way my firm works and the types of jobs we get. I'd like to find some tutorials or literature as to how to create these types of families to give a presentation to the firm on the availability of these tools in the software that we already have.

Any help or direction to help would be greatly appreciated.:bb:
  • elton williams
    Forum Addict
    • December 7, 2010
    • Gold Coast

Have a look at Zach Kron's Revit videos over at designreform.net.
    There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment

• snowyweston
      Super Moderator
      • December 21, 2010
      • C.LONDON

I believe SHoP did that in Rhino - there was a quite a write up on their work process for that very project. That's not to say it's not do-able in Revit, and I'd 2nd Elton's suggestion to check out Zach's work (he covered this kind of thing in the early days of his Buildz blog)

Comment

• JeffH
        Autodesk
        • December 13, 2010
        • The Ivory Tower (Manchester NH)

Originally posted by snowyweston
        I believe SHoP did that in Rhino - there was a quite a write up on their work process for that very project. That's not to say it's not do-able in Revit, and I'd 2nd Elton's suggestion to check out Zach's work (he covered this kind of thing in the early days of his Buildz blog)
        Not sure of the entire process, but I think a portion of it was done in Revit. The customer gallery in Waltham has a display of this building with a bunch of 3d models and images. I don't think we would feature this in our gallery if it was a Rhino project. :-)
        Jeff Hanson
        Sr. Subject Matter Expert
        Autodesk, Revit - User Experience

Comment

• snowyweston
          Super Moderator
          • December 21, 2010
          • C.LONDON

Originally posted by JeffH
          Not sure of the entire process, but I think a portion of it was done in Revit.
          Revit Building 9 (!) going by the images on ArchDaily - with a little bit of Digital Project thrown in as well.

Comment

• Alfredo Medina
            Forum Co-Founder
            • December 7, 2010
            • FL, USA

Seems to be possible in Revit. A pattern-based panel applied to a divided surface; the surface is made after cutting some holes for the openings.
            Attached Files
            Alfredo Medina Architectural Services | (Licensed in Florida) | Laser Scanning | 3d Printing | Training & consulting on Revit | Linkedin

Comment

• snowyweston
              Super Moderator
              • December 21, 2010
              • C.LONDON

Nice solution Alfredo but I think the desire here might be the same as when I looked into doing something similar, in as much, to have the individual masonry modules in their individual locations with relative offsets modeled.

Comment

• Alfredo Medina
                Forum Co-Founder
                • December 7, 2010
                • FL, USA

Oh, you mean, to model the bricks as in the photographs? Might take more time, of course, but should be possible, too. This was just a quick test to demonstrate that this is doable in Revit, if time permits.
                Alfredo Medina Architectural Services | (Licensed in Florida) | Laser Scanning | 3d Printing | Training & consulting on Revit | Linkedin

Comment

• Andrew P
                  • February 19, 2011

The bricks where modelled in Autocad, Rhino, Generative Component and Digital project. Not sure which sequence they used. Revit was only used for the usual coordination and documentation of the core. Click image for larger version

Name:	3432131703_311cd3c39e_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	383400Click image for larger version

Name:	3432131647_e9f3713541_o.jpg
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	383402Click image for larger version

Name:	3432132141_8fa3dedc4b_o.jpg
Size:	398.4 KB
ID:	383403Click image for larger version

Name:	3432946718_65be673334_o.jpg
Size:	716.3 KB
ID:	383404Click image for larger version

Name:	3432946208_8caceaed02_o.jpg
Size:	456.8 KB
ID:	383401
                  Last edited by Andrew P; June 8, 2014, 08:07 AM.

Comment

• Alfredo Medina
                    Forum Co-Founder
                    • December 7, 2010
                    • FL, USA

The bricks could have been modeled in Revit as well.

Comment