Thread: pipe sizing in revit

Current Local Time
    10:27 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

pipe sizing in revit

does anyone know and have basic steps for calculating pipe sizes within Revit. All i have been able to find are duct sizing methods but nothing for pipe systems.

I keep getting a warning after clicking the duct/pipe sizing tool. Warning reads 'Sizing failed: Flow for section is 0'

Current Local Time
    04:27 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Notgotaclue1 View Post
    does anyone know and have basic steps for calculating pipe sizes within Revit. All i have been able to find are duct sizing methods but nothing for pipe systems.

I keep getting a warning after clicking the duct/pipe sizing tool. Warning reads 'Sizing failed: Flow for section is 0'
    You have to enable calculations first. Do this by selecting the Piping System and then Edit Type. From there, you'll see a category for "Calculations". Turn this to "All" and you should be good to go. The only penalty is performance... it can and will make Revit perform slower overall as the project size increases. Nothing to be scared of... just a general awareness is all.

-Tannar

Junior Member Abdelraouf Muhammad's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    12:27 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Notgotaclue1 View Post

Dear,
    I now face the same issue for resize pipe diameter of fire protection system depends on pipe schedule method, but duct/pipe sizing method which found in revit don't support any fire protection pipe system.
    It just support with either Hydraunic supply pipe systems or Domestic cold/hot water pipe system.
    If you want to make it active and calculate and resize the pipe diameter depending on Velocity or friction or what ever, you must be check on the flow, and flow will have a value due to the plumbing fixture have a flow value, so you must connect the pipe with any plumbing fixture to capture the flow of this fixture and read it in the flow of the pipe.
    Once you make the flow is readable you will be able to use the duct/pipe sizer. But this method doesn't support fire protection pipe system.

Current Local Time
    11:27 AM

You can calculate any kind of pipes with any formula using placeholders and schedules.
    http://www.revitforum.org/mep-genera...ure-units.html

I use this way of working for water, sewerage and Sprinkler piping. Otherwise make families that set the right flow and sized based on velocity or friction.

Current Local Time

Question

Quote Originally Posted by josephpeel View Post
    You can calculate any kind of pipes with any formula using placeholders and schedules.
    http://www.revitforum.org/mep-genera...ure-units.html

I use this way of working for water, sewerage and Sprinkler piping. Otherwise make families that set the right flow and sized based on velocity or friction.
    Very good, but is it possible to apply the change of pipe size that occur in calculation into pipes layouts in drawings?
    for example, If the pipe tag in the drawing was (15mm), and after using the pipe placeholders and schedules method, the diameter became (25mm), it's OK, Is it possible this change that occur in calculation make the pipe tag which have (15mm) dia. to change to (25mm) dia.?

Current Local Time
    11:27 AM

If you change the 'Size' or 'Diameter' parameter in the schedule the actual placeholder size will be changed. If your tag reads the Size of the pipe it will also change. The size in the schedule is the size in the model is the size on the drawing.

Current Local Time

Excellent,
    But why I can't use the (Duct/Pipe sizing) tool to apply in fire protection system pipe wet?
    I can apply this tool in Hydraunic supply or domestic cold/hot water not fire, I need to know why?